Chapter 17

The next few days passed by pretty fast, nothing out of the ordinary happened. Until one day.

"Mel, give me the packet. I did not buy those for you. It's for someone else." He said, taking a few huffs in between.

I continue to run, thank God for my amazing stamina. Shane might be faster than me but due to his not too serious asthmatic conditions he couldn't run for too long. That's why he only runs for the 100 meters during the track meets. "You don't have anyone else in your life who loves Skittles as much as I do, so stop chasing me and let me have it in peace."

He stopped running, so I stopped but I made sure to keep a safe distance between us. After all, precaution is better than cure. "I might have someone else to give it to."

That sentence made me drop the packet of Skittles. I shot him a glare and walked away. I could hear footsteps behind me but I didn't bother turning around and receiving his apology. Boy was I wrong, he didn't even bother to apologize cause the footsteps behind me belonged to Kiara. She hugged me from behind and I stood there frozen to the spot. "It'll be alright. Maybe he wanted to give it to you himself some other time. Don't cry." She consoled me wiping the tears from my face.

I didn't know I was crying. I didn't cry in front of people, I hate that. I quickly wiped my tears and turned away from her.

Why did it bother me that Shane might have started having other priorities, why did it bother me so much that he bought someone else Skittles, why was I making a big deal out of it? I walk into the washroom and wash my face clear of any tell tale signs that I had been crying.

"Malia! Hey." Ashton greets, the second I get out of the washroom.

"Hi, what brings you to this side of the school?" I mock, the girls washroom was in the farthest end of the school and there weren't any classes around here either, just a flight of stairs leading to the terrace.

"I might have asked Kiara where you were." He said, rubbing the back of his neck and pursing his lips in the most adorable way.

"Awww, you're so cute." I pull his cheeks and kiss his nose, due to which he freezes. I pull back at look at his face, his face was slightly tainted pink. He was blushing! It made him even more cute, if that was even possible.

"Anyway, I wanted to give you this." He hands me a packet of Skittles, I was so happy that I jumped up to hug him. He holds me tight for a minute and then sets me back on my feet.

"If I knew I'd get hugs every time I buy you Skittles then I'll start buying them right away." With that he was off even before I could register what he meant. Once it registered, I was the one blushing.

I stuff the Skittles into my bag, deciding to have it during English class, to flaunt it in front of Shane.

______________

Shane pulls out his chair and takes his seat next to me. Simultaneously, I pull out the packet of Skittles and place it on my table. I was going to eat them as slow as possible, showing him that I didn't care for his Skittles.

"Class we have a new student from India, I hope all of you would help her settle in." Mr. Russo announced. We all turn our heads and look expectantly towards the door. A very beautiful girl, with flowing dark brown hair and eyes walk in. She looked so timid that I was scared to touch her fearing that she'd break. But breathtakingly beautiful was just about the right word to describe her. She smiled and took the only other empty seat in class, next to me.

I turn to her and introduce myself. She looked up. "My name's Naina. It's nice to meet you." She didn't have the accent Raj had, that's what I was expecting, I'm very stereotype, I know. But her voice was very clear and there was fair mixture of British, American and maybe Indian accent. But the Indian accent could only be picked out if you listened very very very carefully. Her smile was so warm I couldn't help but smile back. With that I knew I liked her already.