Eyes

DAN

It felt like I was floating, yet attached to the ground somehow. As if a rope was wrapped around my hand, keeping me from floating away. However it wasn't a rope. At least it didn't feel like a rope. It wasn't scratchy or thick like rope.
It was warm.
It was soft.
It wrapped delicately around my palm.
A sensation traveled up from my hand and sunk through my arm. My lungs expanded slowly, a strange smell filling my head.
I couldn't feel my legs at all as I furrowed my eyebrows.
I slid my eyes open slowly.
My ears began to ring. My vision was blurry. My body began to wake up along with me, reviving aches and pains that had waited until I was conscious to strike. I opened my mouth to get more air- but something was covering my mouth and nose. I let out a breath.
A voice called distantly, as if it were muffled by something.
I felt strange and confused. Half of my body was numb while the rest of it ached.
What happened to me?

---
PHIL

I sat for hours in the hospital room, holding Dan's hand. I didn't mind so much as it gave me time to memorize his hand. His long, piano playing fingers, the curve of his palm. But I wished every minute he would wake up.

Adrian had fallen asleep on the window seat behind me. I draped my blanket the information nurse had given me over his shoulders.

My hand lay beneath Dan's again as I began to feel tired. It was nearly 10 am now- and I hadn't slept so much as a wink. I wanted to be the first person Dan saw when he woke up.

However, sleep was beginning to get the best of me. My eyelids and head drooped heavily. Yawns crept up my throat, causing my eyes to water.
I began to think maybe if I closed my eyes for just a moment maybe...

Dan suddenly took a deep breath- interrupting his slow rhythmic breathing. I jumped and leaned close to him.
"Dan." I said quietly.
His breathing mask fogged. Dan lifted his hand slowly, taking it off of mine and gripped weakly at the mask over his mouth. His face was twisted lightly in confusion.
I grabbed his arm gently.
"Dan," I sighed, "you need that."
He took another deep breath. He pointed at the mask, slowly, his finger too weak to extend all the way.
"Yes- leave it on." I explained quietly, "it helps you breathe."
Dan's arm finally relaxed into my hand. His face released its confused expression.
"..helps.." Dan croaked quietly.
I pressed the button to call for the nurse. Gently, I helped Dan lay his arm back by his side.
The door opened, causing Adrian to jolt awake. A nurse in pink scrubs came in. He was tanned and stood about 5"5'.
Dan's eyes finally opened half way.
He looked around slowly, taking in the shapes of the dark room.
"Oh, look who's awake!" The nurse said sweetly, not raising his voice above a quiet tone. Dan's eyes still wandered through the room.
The nurse checked the machines quickly before leaning close to Dan.
"Can you tell me your name?" The nurse questioned softly.
Dan's eyes came to a stop, looking right at me. He stared, breathing slowly.
"What's your name?" The nurse asked again.
Dan only stared at me. The nurse began to write on his clipboard.
"...Phil.." Dan whimpered.
Tears rushed to my eyes.
"Did you say Phil?" The nurse wondered, sounding concerned.
I slid my hand around Dan's again.
"No- he means me." I explained to him, "yes, it's me, Phil. Can you tell us your name?"
I repeated before the nurse could.
There was a long pause. My eyes never left Dan's and Dan's eyes never left mine.
His hand squeezed mine gently.
"..Daniel..James.. Howell.." he said hoarsely.
The nurse seemed to relax significantly. As did I.
"Alright, Daniel, you're going to be just fine. Do you know where you are?" The nurse questioned.
Dan's eyebrows furrowed.
"..not... not home. " he stated weakly.
The nurse nodded.
"You are in hospital, Daniel. You have had surgery and need to rest. You will be alright." The nurse explained slowly, "can I get you anything?"
Dan softly let go of my hand and raised his hand to touch his neck.
"Water?" I questioned, making sense of the gesture.
Dan nodded slightly.
The nurse smiled happily and left the room, making sure the door closed quietly.
Dan sighed and closed his eyes.
I couldn't help but smile. I was so happy he seemed to be okay.
I heard a huff behind me. I jumped slightly, having forgotten Adrian was there.
"You gave us a right good scare, you dildo." Adrian whispered bitterly.
Dan's eyes shot open, wider than they had been before.
"..Adrian .." He whined, looking around for him.
Adrian walked around me slowly, meeting eyes with Dan.
He reached his arm out for his younger brother. He weakly gripped Adrian's shirt and tugged for him to come closer. Adrian complied and hugged Dan gently, so as not to hurt him.
They released and Dan's hand fell tiredly back to his side.
I leaned down and kissed his hand softly.
He would be alright now.
I knew he would.

As for the thoughts I had kept to myself while I sat by his side,
I had my mind made up.
I wasn't going to wait until we got home to ask him.