one

Abigale's POV

"Mom I'll be fine it's just a new high school." I laugh as she hugs me tightly before letting me go.

"Okay honey, are you sure you'll be fine?" She asks squeezing my face as I nod.

"Yes mom, I'll be alright," I reassure her with a hug, "see you after school," I wave goodbye before walking out of the door, going to the bus stop. On my way down the long path, a car speeds past me and I roll my eyes, not bothering to look in their direction. "Idiots," I mutter, still able to hear their music blasting down the street.

Realizing I made it to the bus stop I look to see a few other people quietly sitting on the concrete with their eyes glued to their phone. A few moments later everyone slowly begins to stand and wait in a group for the bus to stop at its destination. I quietly wait for everyone to get on before I slowly make my way up the steps, being stopped by the driver, "Excuse me what's your name? You don't look familiar," He asks, looking at me suspiciously.

"Oh I'm Abigale Jennings, this is my first day being- here," I say and he nods, taking out a notepad, writing my name down along with the ones already on the list.

"Okay, you can sit in row 14." He says and I nod and walk down the isle as people glance at me before continuing their conversation. I look at the numbers as I pass them, finding my seat pretty quickly.

I look in the seat to see a girl there with a loose ponytail smiling to me, "Hey new girl, looks like you're my seat buddy!" she says cheerfully and I smile back, sitting down.

"Hi, I'm Abigale Jennings," I say and she nods.

"Most of us know already because they talk about you joining our classes and how you're on our bus route- hence why I tagged along with my brother here. I guess that makes us both newbies this bus, huh," she chuckles, an inviting smile on her face,  "I'm Vanessa Wright, nice to meet you t-"

"And don't forget to inform her all you do is eat and sleep," a boy interrupts in the row behind us. Before I can react Vanessa's body is hovered above the seat, a slapping sound following soon after.

"Sorry that's Zach, sad to say he's my brother. You can just ignore him." She huffs getting back into the seat and I laugh.

"He deserved it. Boys don't seem to understand that eating and sleeping are very necessary for people our age." I say grinning and she laughs.

"I think we're going to get along very well, Abigale," she says and I smile.

"No arguments there," I agree as the bus begins to take off.

・・・

On the way to school Vanessa and I just talked about where I came from, where she came from, and just random things we were both interested in- ranging from favorite food to whether we though Taylor Swift was a snake. Needless to say we agreed on both- pizza and yes. (Swifties don't come for me.) When we finally got to the school we walked out and waited at the entrance of the school for a moment. "So this is Allan High school, you're new school for the next 2 years." She says smiling. "It seems intimidating at the start but in reality it's not so bad."

"Nice to know," I say and she smiles, walking in, which I follow right behind her.

"This is the cafeteria, where everyone usually just hangs out until the bell rings. We won't have much time to be here, do you know where your locker is yet?" She asks and I shake my head. "That's what I thought. Did they give you some sort of paper that had your schedule and locker information on it?"

"Uh yeah its- right here," I say pulling it out and handing it to her. As she looks at it I look around the large school and get a few glances from random people who then just turn away from me and continue on their day.

"Okay let's go, destination numero uno, el lockero." She says and I chuckle.

"El lockero?" I smile and she shushes me.

"Be quiet I'm practicing," She frowns and we start to laugh, "Anyways let's go, the bell's about to ring and I don't want you getting trampled on your first day," she says and I nod.

"I'd like it to remain that way, every day," I retort and she smiles.

"Then you better follow me and remember all of my steps."

"Will do," I say and we stop in front of a few lockers as she examines their numbers.

"So here's your locker, you can't carry your backpack around this school because people don't know how to properly hide drugs." Vanessa rolls her eyes and I laugh.

"Can't wait to be able to walk without a backache again," I say looking at the combination from the sticky note and start turning the lock. 9-39-31... simple enough. I open it to see a dark tan pit of emptiness inside, making me feel slightly disgusted.

"You'd think they'd be cuter at least, right?" She says sighing, typing on her phone.

"Exactly my thoughts," I cringe, looking at my information page.  I take out my books for my first class then putting the rest neatly in my locker, "So where is my first class exactly?"

"Was just about to talk about that, you have it with my brother so, he'll lead you the way... once his lazy self gets over here." She rolls her eyes. "I'm texting him to hurry. And he calls me lazy." She says and I laugh. " Let me see that page really quickly." She says and I hand it to her, "Yeah you're gonna want to take it for your 2nd period too, they're near each other, your third is by your locker so you can just change it out there." She says then hands it back, smiling.

"Thanks," I say grabbing the corresponding binder then closing my locker.

"Hello?" She says putting the phone up to her ear. There are some mumbled voices before she sighs. "Nobody cares about your friends Zach just get the hell over here! The poor girl is gonna get lost if you don't get over here!" She menaces and I chuckle. "Yeah yeah whatever just hurry up, tell them all I said hi or whatever," she mutters then hangs up the phone, sighing.

"You and your brother must get along great," I chuckle and she nods.

"Zach is just something else." She says shaking her head, "Do you have any siblings?" She asks and I nod.

"Yeah and older brother, Luke. He moved a while back so I haven't seen him in a while, he's in his mid-20s." I say and she smiles.

"That's cool, do you two fight?"

"Like you two? Definitely. He seems like a grown-up version of your brother already and I haven't even really gotten to know him."

"I think you'll change your mind after you really meet Zach, he is just- something special."

・published on December 16, 2016・edited on August 30, 2019・