Seventeen: Fairy Tale

Clyde and Ace were hoping to see Beast, who, I knew from Katy, was the president of the M.C. He was also married to the Queen, she had told me, which was one of the reasons why she was called that.

At first, I hoped that he might be one of the friends he'd mentioned the night before, who he thought might be able to help me. However, at the imploring looks he received from everyone, he explained that he and Clyde were working on one of Beast's motorcycles, doing some custom work.

We stayed a little longer while Ace and Clyde discussed their work with some of the men, including Boomer, who had returned with Tanya

I tried to follow along, but I didn't know what they were talking about, and I couldn't understand what had the others so intrigued.

"I gave up trying to interpret their language a long time ago."

I jumped when Bonnie spoke to me, her voice soft and full of good humor, more like the girl I'd first met, and nothing like the angry, spiteful one I'd gotten to know.

"Boys and their toys," she rolled her eyes and I smiled in response, unsure of how to react to her sudden friendliness.

Beast wouldn't be back that night, we were told, and, since it was getting late, the four of us decided to go home.

We all piled into Clyde's car, which he and Ace had driven over, and I sat quietly in the back with Bonnie, listening to the three of them joking and teasing one another.

Clyde parked the car in the driveway of his and Bonnie's house, and we all got out and made our way inside. It was strange, being there again, and I stood awkwardly beside Ace, thinking of the last time I was there.

Clyde and Ace were back to discussing the bike they were working on for Beast. Clyde was talking about some part that they needed, which he'd found online, and the two of them left to find the computer.

"I'll only be a second," Ace promised, touching my shoulder, picking up on my unease.

I nodded.

"Anyone want a coffee, while I'm going?" Bonnie asked, just as they were leaving.

"Yeah, thanks," Clyde called back, pointing to Ace. "Him, too, please, sweetheart."

Bonnie tossed her bag on the couch, making her way to the kitchen to boil the kettle. It tipped over and her sketchbook spilt out, landing on the floor, the pages falling open. I went to pick it up, and placed it on the coffee table, staring down at the half finished piece which resembled a family portrait.

"Jenna?" Bonnie called from the doorway between the rooms, and I swung around, feeling guilty, for some reason.

"Yes?"

"How do you have yours?"

"Um," I hesitated. "I don't know. How am I supposed to have it?"

She gave me a strange look.

"Clyde has his black, Ace and I like ours white with two..." She tilted her head, waiting for a response.

"Like that," I decided, and Bonnie nodded, disappearing again.

She came back after a moment, waiting for the water to boil, and glanced down at the page that her sketch book was open to, wincing as she realized what I'd been looking at.

"You're really tallented," I offered, to try and break the awkward silence that had fallen over us.

She smiled, not meeting my eye.

"Thanks," she said simply.

"Who are those people?" I wondered, motioning toward the drawing.

"It's my family," she said with a sad smile, tracing the lightest of touches over the lines she'd sketched out on the paper,