Glenn

She said yes! She actually said yes!
Oh, man. I hope I don't mess this up.
I put on a white button up shirt and black pants. I walk into the living room and Dale sees me.
"Where are you going all fancy?" He asks.
"I have a date." I say, smiling.
"With Maggie?"
"How did you know?" I ask.
"It's pretty obvious how much you like her. You look really nice." Dale says with smile.
"Thanks. I just hope I don't embarrass myself." I say.
"You'll be fine. Just remember to be yourself. She has to like you for you."
"Yeah. Well, I better go and pick her up." I say.
"Good luck." Dale says.

I bought Maggie red roses before I went to pick her up. When I got to her house, I saw a man sitting on a chair in front of the house. He was drinking a beer and he looks wasted.
"Who the hell are you?" He asks.
"Oh, hi. My name is Glenn. I'm here to see Maggie." I say.
He just looks at me and then I hear someone open the front door. It's Maggie.
"Hi, Glenn. I just saw you pull up." She says smiling. But then she notices the guy sitting there. Her smile fades and is replaced with a look of fear.
"Shane? I thought you were at work." She says to him.
"Well, I left early. Good thing, too." He says looking at Maggie and then at me.
"Come on Glenn, lets go." She says taking my hand.
"Little slut." I hear Shane mumble.
That gets me so angry. I clench my jaw and let go of Maggie's hand, then I turn around and go towards Shane.
"Glenn, don't. It's ok. I can handle it." I hear Maggie say.
I look him straight in the eye and say, "Don't you ever call her that."
Shane just looks at me with a look of shock and then he chuckles and says, "You've got guts for a China man."
"I'm Korean." I say. Then I go back to Maggie and hold her hand and lead her to my car. I'm feeling a rush of adrenaline. The truth is, I never had to do anything like that. It's a side of me I've never known.
When we get inside my car, I look at Maggie and she's smiling. Then she starts laughing.
"What?" I say, laughing too.
"It's just....did you see the look on his face?" She says. "I've never seen Shane look like that. Thank you, Glenn." She says looking at me with an emotion I can't place.
"I couldn't just let him get away with that." I say. Then I hand her the roses I had in my hand. "These are for you. You look beautiful."
"You are too sweet, Glenn. Thanks." Maggie says.
I smile at her and start my car.

We get to the Italian restaurant not too long after. The hostess greets us and takes us to the outside parlor of the restaurant. It looks really nice because they have lights strung up. It looks like a starry night. There is also a dance floor. Soft, romantic music is playing.
"So, what's your relation with Shane?" I ask Maggie when we are at our table eating spaghetti.
"He's my mom's way too young for her boyfriend." She says, rolling her eyes.
"How can your mom let someone like that live under your roof?" I say.
"She doesn't exactly care about me or my well being."
I look at the burn mark on Maggie's hand. It angers and saddens me to know that someone can just hurt Maggie like that.
"Is she the one who did that to you?" I ask softly, gesturing to her hand.
Maggie looks at her hand and stays quiet for a second. I think she's going to lie again but instead she says, "Yes."
"Please don't get mad at me for asking, but why....why do you stay there?" I ask.
"For Beth."
"Who's Beth?" I say.
"My younger sister. I have to make sure she's safe. They mostly leave her alone, but still I'm not going to leave her with them. As soon as I'm 18 in 6 months, I'll think of a way to get us out of there. I've been saving up money. I just have to hold on until my birthday in March. So please, Glenn don't tell anyone."
She looks down at her lap. I don't like it, but I try to understand where she is coming from.
"At least promise you'll call me if you're in any trouble. Promise me." I say reaching across the table to hold her hand.
She looks up and says, "I promise."
I squeeze her hand reassuringly, then let it go.
"I would like to meet Beth someday." I say.
"She'd like that. She's really sweet. Doesn't have a mean bone in her body."
"I was wondering, where is your dad in all this?" I ask.
"He wasn't much of a dad. He left when my mom was pregnant with Beth. I don't know why and I don't care to find out."
A moment passes and then Maggie says,"So, Glenn. Enough about me, tell me about you."
"Me? Oh, I don't know...."
"Oh, come on. What's your favorite color?"
"Green. Like those balloons over there." I say, pointing to these bright green balloons on a table with people who are celebrating a birthday. "And like your eyes."
Maggie smiles and blushes.
"What's your favorite color?" I ask
"I like the color red. It reminds me of blood" She says, seriously.
I stop chewing and look at her, stunned.
"I'm just kidding!" She says, laughing.
I just shake my head and chuckle, "Oh my God. You're crazy."
"I swear I'm not." She says giggling. Then she asks, "Ok, what's your favorite video game?"
"Portal." I answer.
"Any special hobbies?"
"I love playing my guitar. And playing baseball." I say.
"You know how to play the guitar? I'd love to hear you play." Maggie says.
"Yeah, when I was little my dad bought me the guitar I have. Then I started taking lessons. I can play a song for you someday"
"Yes. I love music." She says, happily.
"What's your favorite singer or band?" I ask.
"I like Bryan Adams and I adore oldies."
"Yeah, me too." I say.

Once we are done eating and I pay the check, I ask Maggie if she wants to dance. She says yes, so we go to the dance floor together. I put my hands on Maggie's waist and she drapes her arms around my neck. Our bodies are very close to each other.  The song Can't Help Falling In Love by Elvis Presley is on. And it's perfect. Everything about this moment is perfect. We dance slowly to the music. As she looks up into my eyes, I smile at her and I can feel myself melting. I feel a warmth running through my veins. And then she rests her head on my chest. Her hair smells like strawberries. I can't resist, so I rest my chin on the top of her head. I would do anything to hold her like this for all of time.