Chapter Seven: Memories Scars

A steady chattering of the morning crowed could be heard over the mellow music in the small, quaintly decorated corner café. The lights cast a creamy glow along the light tan walls and tile floor, setting the scene for the brown trimming that ran along the multiple surfaces. Lea sat at the edge of her chair fingering the black and white scarf she was wearing, feeling just a tad uncomfortable. She looked around the café again, she could see why Steve liked it. It wasn't necessarily old fashioned, but it had a classic feel to it.

            She glanced over the newspaper in her hands, not really seeing it, before her eyes wandered back over to where Steve was standing in line. He had showed up at her door that morning, inquiring if she was feeling better, and then asked if she was up to go out for breakfast so that she didn't have to bother fixing herself anything. He had also insisted on taking her order and having her sit while he paid for breakfast and coffee. Lea had tried to protest, but he had given her a very stern look, and told her this was how he was repaying her for all the things she had baked for him over the last few weeks. She flicked her eyes back to the paper in her hands. This was totally normal.  Totally something that friends would do.... Right? She glanced back at Steve. He had his back towards her still. Lea sighed; she was being ridicules. She folded the paper up and leaned back in her chair, deciding to look around the café while she waited.

            For some reason the line seemed to be taking forever, so by the time Steve had come back to the corner table they had chosen, Lea had lost her ability to stay still, and was doodling on her napkin.

            "What have you got there?" He asked, peering over to look.

            "Oh, nothing really..." She pulled her hand back to show a rough ink sketch of the café they were in, including the people, and Steve standing on line.

            "That's pretty good for a napkin." He grinned at her.

            "Yeah." She gave half of a laugh. "My mum always used to chastise me for drawing on all the napkins when my family went out to eat."

            "Why'd she do that?" Steve cocked his head, curious.

            "Oh, well, it was a waste of paper, really. I wasn't any good at that point, and she hated having to ask the waitress for more."

            Steve was just about to say something when the barista called out their coffee drinks. He moved to stand, but Lea got up first. 

            "I'll get them." She gave him a cocky, victorious smile. "You ordered, I can at least get them."

            "Okay." He shook his head at her as she turned her back and walked over to the pickup counter. She had dressed up a little more than usual, but then again, he was more used to seeing her in her work out clothes, and lounge around the house out fits. So the flowing dark red shirt with matching lipstick, tight black jeans, heeled boots and scarf had thrown him off a little bit. Not that she wasn't a lovely young woman normally, but she looked spectacular this morning.

            It only took a few moments for her to get the drinks before she was back, but it was enough time for Steve to start feeling a little awkward himself. He found himself glancing between her, and the bit of art she had drawn on the napkin. She set his paper cup in front of him as she sat down. There was already a red line around the mouth of her cup, her lipstick staining where she had touched a bright crimson.

            "So, have they figured out the "role of Captain America" yet at work?" Lea asked casually.

            "No. Not really." Steve rolled his eyes, a good sign of annoyance in them.