Twice A Moon

Just wanted to point out that I KNOW this isn't really the same as other fanfictions. Why do you think I posted it on my trash account? XD I wanted to go with something a little more unique, so if you can't handle it, feel free to click/tap away~ The rest of you, enjoy!

*Mark's POV*

I went into the kitchen to get a small snack before heading to bed, and noticed Jack, my Irish roommate, sitting on the couch in our three room complex. I had just finished collage, and needed a nice cheap place to stay, so I decided to move in with someone. I didn't really know Jack, we had met online, but since we were in close proximity of each other, and he seemed decent, we moved in together. It's been over three months now, and I haven't had any trouble. At least for now.

"Hey Jack!" I called over to him, flinging the fridge open. It was currently 11:30 P.M., which wasn't really late for me at all. "Hi!" he called back in a friendly manner, sitting in front of the TV watching some sort of weird, simple yet subtle, horror movie. I nearly-slammed the fridge door shut, oblivious to the loud clunk it made, as I finally found something I was content with; apple pie. It was a hot summer's night, so we had decided to refrigerate it so it didn't spoil.

"Hey! Mind if I sit down with ya too?" I asked Jack with a smile, taking a few paces toward the couch in the conjoined kitchen and living room. I saw him glance at the clock as he shot straight up out of his seat, appearing as only a silhouette in the moonlight shining behind him through the window after he turned off the television. "N-no I have to go now- g'bye," he muttered to me in a big jumble, looking down at the ground as he pushed past me and headed to his room.

His room; the place he had never allowed me to go inside of. Sure, this fella was nice and funny... And normal if you could describe him that way, but he had his oddities. I shrugged it off, remembering it was a quarter moon... The night Jack always acted weird. Ever since I started hearing the noises... I kept track to try and look for some sort of pattern. At first I checked whether it had something to do with the days of the week, but it quickly escalated into the abnormal as I did some research and found out that some people just acted strange according to a certain lunar phase. Of course, I never believed it one bit; I wasn't really that kind of person.

I shoved the miniature slice of cold pie in my mouth as I was too lazy to heat it up, and left the dirty plate on the kitchen table so I could clean it tomorrow. I hummed to myself, finally feeling tired as I slipped into bed after brushing my teeth. I shut the lights off, and decided to sleep with the covers off since it was so humid. I felt at ease and cozy... Until I heard a loud snap, like something was falling into place, which was rather routine on nights like these for some reason. But it always caught me off guard anyways.

I craned my neck and grasped the mattress with my fingers out of alarm. It was dark, and my eyes hadn't yet adjusted. On every quarter moon, I always heard ominous, eerie noises... Which seemed to come from Jack's room. I never inspected it though, for I knew Jack would be upset with me if I did. Of course, if I were in his shoes, I'd be upset as well if I saw myself rummaging through my room without permission. 

After the sharp snap, I heard what sounded like someone struggling to get out of something's clasp for several minutes... Until a noise that I had never heard before erupted from behind the wall. It was a horrible shrill sound; like bending metal. Now I was genuinely scared, sitting up in my bed, looking around the room for any signs of danger. Five more minutes passed, but no more noise. Dead silence filled the air. I figured that whatever had happened, I was safe now, so I tried to relax myself and release the tension that had built up in my muscles so I could get a good, peaceful night's sleep. But it never came.