Chapter Fourteen

Again, sorry for the slight delay. Life's a bit hectic but awww... thank you so much for the comments and votes on the last chapter guys!! They made my day. 

Chapter Fourteen

Charlotte walked ahead of him, purposeful and brisk. William folded the card and tucked it inside his pocket. He followed her along the corridor, the hem of her light lavender dress swept the carpet and the sound of the heel her half boots echoed softly. Her strides were small yet she was swift and William found himself lengthening his steps to keep up with her. They walked along the hallway and took a few twists and turns until, quite suddenly, Charlotte stopped and turned around to face him. A little frown puckered her lips and knitted her brow close. She plunked her hands on her small waist.

“I deciphered from the riddle our next clue lies hidden in the portrait hall.” She blurted and began setting her bonnet to rights.

“So did I.” William confessed.

“Lady Lorelei had shown me the hall during the tour yesterday morning. But now I fear I cannot recall the way.” Charlotte began flushing a delicate shade of pink as she admitted. “It would be best if you could lead the way. It is your house after all.”

William let out a chuckle while he watched Charlotte colored her cheeks. Then, he offered his arm to her. Charlotte followed the movement and looked down to the offered hand.

“No, I am quite fine walking on my own thank you.” But he was not taking no for an answer. And so William dropped his hand, reached and entwined their hands together before setting forth for his family’s portrait hall.

The hall was located in the right wing of the manor. It did not take them very long to reach it. William threw the door open and together hand in hand they walked into the wood paneled hall, decorated with life sized paintings of his ancestors. The sun’s rays spilled from drawn windows illuminated the room with natural light. The pitter patter of their footsteps on the marble floor vibrated in the empty space. William had let go of Charlotte’s hand and she had began inspecting the room for their next clue.

William had begun to look too, only half heartedly, because he was preoccupied on looking at her instead. Charlotte ran her fingers on the littering desks pushed against the wall and looked under trinkets and vases, careful while handling each and every one of them. Then as William watched she stepped in front of a window and the beam of light framed her like she was an ethereal thing, haloed in radiance. William stepped forward and found that she was gazing up to a life-size portrait of his mother.

“So beautiful.” She whispered, looking up in reverence.

“Oh yes you are.” William stepped closer and placed himself to her side. Charlotte looked his way and grinned.

“Not me silly, your mother.”

“She is too.” He said and looked up to his mother’s portrait. In the picture she was dressed in a light blue dress, her hair was pulled up in a coiffure and a blue father plume was pinned on her tresses.

“So beautiful.” Charlotte whispered again. Then, she moved to the portrait that hung next to it where a family was depicted. A toddler stood next to where his mother sat, his hair was russet brown and his eyes gleamed. His mother sat in a lovely yellow dress in the painting, in her hands carrying a bundle of blanket that was baby Lorelei. His father stood in the back, his hand was sat on his mothers shoulder, tall and proud.

“That is you.” Charlotte pointed out with glee. “You were so adorable. And your father,” she paused to gaze at him before smiling broadly. “You look so much like him.”