Chapter Twenty Six

Chapter Twenty Six

The cobbled street outside of London’s famous Almacks were lined with carriages and hackneys attended by their respective drivers, enduring the early winter cold while theirs masters and mistress were warm inside the white washed building. William’s own carriage halted and he got out. As he did so, another carriage came to a stop behind his own and the occupant of said carriage stepped out onto the street. William caught a glimpse of shiny blonde hair before the man covered his mane with a top hat.

“Thorbrooke!” William called without hesitation.

The man clad in black turned around and extended his hand. William shook the man’s hand and narrowed his eyes, spotting a new sleek cane Thorbrooke was carrying and a limp the Earl was sporting. “What on earth happened to you?”

“A minor accident in Copenhagen.” He drawled and readjusted his hat. “You’re here for Lady Desiree’s night of revelry?”

“Aren’t we all?” Edwin suddenly joined in the conversation jovially, emerging from his carriage and walking up to greet the pair. “However, Sheldrake is here to placate the anger of his fiancée.”

Thorbrooke nodded. “I’ve received the wedding invitation yesterday afternoon. I believe congratulations are in order.”

William offered him a faint smile. “Why are you here?” William questioned Thorbrooke as they began to make their way inside; the younger man’s cane pounded the floor lightly. “This isn’t the kind of social gathering you prefer Rafe.”

“My fiancé’s inside. I need to make sure she isn’t creating a scene.”  Thorbrooke answered, favoring a slight grimace.

“Lady Adalbert is in town?” Edwin interjected.  

“She is.”

“Charlie should be glad. She and Lady Callista’s are good friends.”

Thorbrooke’s cane was tapping the marble floor as he walked on. “I hoped she hasn’t kicked up a fuss.”

“But Lady Adalbert isn’t the sort to create a fuss. I personally approve of Charlie’s friendship with Lady Adalbert as she might influence my sister to behave.” Edwin commented.

“Then you are going to be sorely disappointed. Callista…” Thorbrooke paused as they reached the entrance of the ballroom and shrugged off his coat. “Well, she’d changed.”

William had only met Thorbrooke’s fiancé a handful of times before, most of the time seeing her from a far. He had only spoken with the girl once or twice, having been introduced by Thorbrooke himself a few years ago. From what he remembered Lady Callista Adalbert was not older than Charlotte. In fact, they might have made their debut into society together. Lady Adalbert, whom Thorbrooke was engaged to since infancy, as he recalled, was perfectly acceptable.

She wasn’t a great beauty, nor did she manage to make quite an impression. And from what he heard, after Lady Adalbert had made her debut, she returned to the country and seldom visited London since. Claiming that she had changed since the last time he had seen her, Thorbrooke raised William’s interest.

“How so?” William asked while shrugging out of his own coat and handing it to a footman.

“You’ll know when we meet her.”

The Lady Adalbert had indeed changed since the last time William had seen her. As they made their way through the crowd, William immediately spotted Charlotte standing next to her new friend Lady Samantha and a ravishing red head dressed in green. Next to him, Thorbrooke groaned and William couldn’t help to but sympathize. If Lady Adalbert was his fiancée, he would have groaned out loud as well. The new Lady Adalbert wasn’t like the girl he remembered at all.