Chapter Twenty Four

Chapter Twenty Four

Her mouth was sweet and her breathlessness – her small pants for air in between kisses – drove him into near frenzy as he kissed her again and again. They fell into delicious rhythm until Charlotte pushed his chest away and tore their mouth apart. “What are you doing?”

William’s lips hovered mere inches from her lips. He blew hot air onto her skin and caused Charlotte to tremble. “Kissing you.” He whispered with a wicked grin.  

In the dark William heard his fiancée sighed in harassment. “Now that we’ve established a firm grasp of the obvious. Excuse me.” Then, Charlotte put her hair to rights the best she could and stepped discreetly out of the secluded alcove to rejoin the party.

He waited a few seconds before stepping out of the alcove himself. Once he did, William did not waste any time to place himself next to Charlotte again. “Dance with me.”

Charlotte snapped open her fan and gritted her teeth. “You are too late my lord. My dance card is already full, thank you.”

“May I see it then?” William offered his hand and Charlotte produced a small card from her embroidered reticule. Without sparing the card a second glace, William slipped the small piece of paper into his pocket.  

“Hey! I need that.” Charlotte cried in indignation.

William offered Charlotte his hand but she batted it away with her dainty fan. “No. I have promised the next round of Allemande to Lord Simon Du Arc. Ah, here he comes now!”

William turned his head to the approaching young Simon Du Arc, whom according to his knowledge is the younger son of a French lord. He gave the man a glare of warning and Simon Du Arc’s steps faltered. The younger man nodded his head before switching his course and headed for the refreashment table instead. “Looks like your partner changed his mind. Come, let’s dance.”  

During the dance, William noticed that his partner was determined to look everywhere but him. A small smile worked to his lips. He swooped down to close the distance and spoke softly to her ear. “Congratulations, you look absolutely ravishing tonight.” He paused to admire a faint rose petal blush that was taking over his fiancée’s cheeks. “Never wear this dress ever again.” he finished. Charlotte’s eyes widened and looked up to stare at him. However, she kept her lips pursed and nipped her angry retort from escaping her mouth. William who was starting to enjoy himself, launched into another comment to rile her up. “I saw you dancing with Crawford. Haven’t I warned you to stay away from him?”

Charlotte exhaled a long breath of annoyance.

William’s smile widened. He raised a finger and casually brushed one of Charlotte’s flushed cheeks. “Did you know that I secretly enjoy one sided conversation?”

With gritted teeth, Charlotte rebuked. “I despise you.”                

“That is unfortunate seeing as we are about to be married soon.” He replied.

“You aggravate me. A great deal.” She responded.

William smiled a slanted smile and retorted. “You arouse me. Infinitely, without bounds and beyond reason.”

 With contempt, Charlotte muttered. “I am not marrying you. I am definitely, indubitably and incontrovertibly, not marrying you.”

William ignored her comment. They stayed silent throughout the dance. At the end of it, William clasped his hand on Charlotte and dragged her forward. “I am parched, would you like some champagne?”