「 II ; last dance 」

TWO ; LAST DANCE

─────

     PREVIOUSLY CLEANING UP the broken glass in the kitchen that the others didn't bother to tend to themselves, Eleanor looks at Robbie in confusion as he takes Ray's keys off of the kitchen table.

"What are you doing?" Eleanor asks, returning the dustpan and brush to their proper place.

"Going to see some friends," Robbie replies.

"And you're taking Ray's car?"

"He's asleep." Eleanor shrugs. "Cover for me, yeah?"

"Well, it's gonna be a bit hard since, y'know, you're taking his car. Not to mention the fact that you got your license revoked."

"Just act like you had no idea or something. You're a good liar, I believe in you," Robbie says with a smile.

"I'll do my best."

"Can you work on my paper, too?"

"Yeah, yeah. But you gotta pay up now." Robbie sighs as he pulls his wallet out, handing her a couple of bills a moment later. Eleanor double checks the amount before smiling at him.

"Thanks, Elle. See you later."

"See you," Eleanor replies. Robbie walks out of the room and leaves the house.

Virtually alone in the quiet condo, Eleanor looks around, wondering what she should do to occupy the rest of the day. She only gets as far as looking at her book before realizing she might as well start on Robbie's paper, so she retrieves her laptop from upstairs before stationing herself at the kitchen table and cracking her knuckles. She has already read Pride and Prejudice twice, despite it not being on her curriculum.

Two hours later, Eleanor begins putting the finishing touches on the essay: a few punctual and grammatical errors here and there to make it appear more like Robbie's paper.

However, before she finishes with the first page, a rhythmic knock sounds on the door. Recognizing the familiar pattern, Eleanor rolls her eyes before standing up and walking to the front door.

She pulls it open to find a boy her age wearing khakis, a maroon t-shirt, a dark gray zip-up, a leather jacket, a gray beanie, and black converse standing on the doorstep, his green eyes finding hers in a matter of seconds, detouring around her appearance. His gray jacket isn't zipped and his hoodie is resting on his back, over the leather jacket. He's holding a box of pizza and a case of AriZona green tea.

Taron Egerton smiles apologetically and she crosses her arms.

He has been Eleanor's best friend since they met in elementary school; Taron moved to New Jersey with his mom from Wales and Eleanor was the first to be friendly to him. They have been partners in crime throughout the years, sticking together all the way through high school. Taron lives across the street from Ray, hence her glare at his window earlier.