「 XVII ; vodka & story time 」

SEVENTEEN ; VODKA & STORY TIME

─────

     TARON WALKS ALONG the streets of Boston, racking his brain for the route to Eleanor's grandparent's house; he has only visited once or twice. Meanwhile, Eleanor is hanging limply in his arms, her broken leg resting oddly, her arms folded on her stomach, and her head resting against Taron's chest and part of his bicep.

After deducing that Eleanor was in fact breathing, Taron figured that the best thing for him to do would be to get her to her family as soon as possible.

Taron rounds a corner and immediately sighs in relief, tilting his head back and closing his eyes. Eleanor's grandparent's house stands perfectly intact at the end of the street.

"Eleanor," Taron says, opening his eyes and looking at her peaceful expression. He didn't try to wake her up earlier in order to let her get some much-needed rest. "Eleanor," he repeats, shaking her slightly. 

Eleanor wakes with a jolt, her eyes flying open and her body tensing. Her wide eyes meet Taron's and she relaxes. Taron smiles in relief.

"Hey," Taron says.

"Hi," Eleanor replies, looking around in confusion. "What happened?"

"You passed out, but it's all right. Look," Taron says, nodding ahead of them to Eleanor's grandparent's house. Eleanor turns her head toward the structure and grins.

"We made it."

"Mhm," Taron replies, proud.

"I owe you my life, Egerton," Eleanor declares as she looks up at him.

"You don't owe me anything, Rigby." Eleanor smiles.

The two of them look up at the sound of a door opening. Taron slows to a stop as they watch Mary Ann step onto the porch, a mug in her hands and her eyes wide. The cup falls from her hands as she covers her mouth; she doesn't even mind when the ceramic shatters at her feet. Eleanor's grandparents and Tim wander behind Mary Ann, the three of them completely baffled by the sight of the two teenagers standing in the road — as if they didn't expect Taron to be capable of bringing Eleanor home.

"Do you see them?" Eleanor asks Taron as he sets her on the ground, Eleanor keeping her arm around his shoulders and Taron holding her waist. He glances at her as her eager eyes search past her mom, step-dad, and grandparents. "Robbie and Ray, do you see them? In the house? Do you think they're inside?"

"I-I don't know," Taron stutters, unsure of what to say. He is saved from giving a response when Mary Ann finally rushes forward, eventually engulfing the two of them in a hug.

"I was so worried!" Mary Ann mumbles through her tears, squeezing the teenagers with all her might.

Although she is tremendously relieved to know that her mom is alive and well, Eleanor can't help but be rather disappointed. Taron managed to convince her that Robbie and Ray would be waiting for her when she returned, but where are they? Maybe her worst dreams came true — maybe they really did die in the explosion.