[24] two heirs

I woke up feeling nothing but unbelievable pain. Like a thousand of knives cut into my stomach, I started screaming, not even knowing where I was or what was happening, the only thing I thought of was the ache.

Way too slow I realised the pain getting less with every breath I took. I was able to open my eyes again, while I felt the pain easing. I was laying in a chamber I had never seen before.

"You did a wonderful job, my queen", I heard the familiar voice of one of my handmaidens.

She was holding a little baby in her arms, a blanket wrapped around it. I tried to reach it.

"Let me hold it, please!", I asked her and she gave it to me smiling.

"It's the first born boy of yours.", another handmaiden added. A tear of happiness ran down my face. It was a boy. A beautiful dark blonde boy, sleeping peacefully in my arms with a slight smile on his lips. I kissed his forehead.

Suddenly I heard a cry behind me

Suddenly I heard a cry behind me. The same maid, who already brought me my son, walked over to me again. I could not believe that she was holding another baby. "And your second born, is a beautiful girl."

I was over the moon, two healthy, beautiful children, the heirs of  an entire kingdom, so small, but already carrying so many responsibilities.

The door was opened. A man wearing an armour stepped inside. "The king.", he said an stepped aside so Joffrey could walk through. Cersei was only partly wrong. Joffrey wasn't there when I gave birth to the children, but he also didn't leave. He did care about me.

I probably looked more than terrible, but his focus was on our children anyway.

"So?", he asked me excitedly.

"The a boy and a girl. Just like your uncle and mother.", I told him, smiling brightly. His facial expressions were mixed, he was smiling but fraught.

"Give me my son, Lyra.", he commanded and I handed him the blonde beauty "His name will be Devon. Prince Devon of King's Landing." Joffrey was unbelievably proud.

"What about your daughter?", I asked him. He didn't take is look off Devon and replied: "I don't know."

I didn't want him to prefer one of our children so I kept talking to him. "I've been thinking about Meela. Suits her."

"Did everyone hear my lady? Devon and Meela, our children, will be everyone's priority to keep safe from now on. Does everyone understand?" His guards nodded and my handmaidens curtsied and nodded as well, not daring to look him into the eyes.

"Good.", he said, gave back Devon to me and leaned over to kiss me. "You've done great."

Weeks went by, a few months and after half a year, the wedding was imminent, it was time to live in peace with my family again, so I invited my grandmother and sister for wine and cake. I asked Joffrey to sit with us as well. Walking arm and arm we arrived at the table in the shadow. He did that because everyone was watching. To destroy rumours that the children I gave birth to out of wedlock weren't Joffreys.

In a cradle nearby were laying our twins, enjoying the sun light and warmth. Each one of them had their own cradle, painted golden.

 Winter was coming and they were children of the long summer

Winter was coming and they were children of the long summer. They needed every tiny ray of sunshine to gain strength.

They brought us bread, cake, wine, fruits and cheese. Margaery was wearing her faked polite smile and shared her brightest smile with us everytime Joffrey looked at her. Pathetic.

"...and if any person in the kingdom says something wrong about your house or connects Lyra and my children with it, tell me and you'll see their heads on spikes.", Joff concluded his sentence.

"How thoughtful of you.", Olenna Tyrell replied sarcastically.

"Yes, your grace is truly kind to cherish such respect for our house, even though Lyra won't be a part of it for a long time anymore.", My sister said.

"To be married with the Baratheon and Lannisters is a privilege just a few ladies can enjoy. Just another honor for your house.", Joffrey said, less polite and more demanding.

"Yes, however, thank you for joining for our meal today. I hope you're looking forward to the wedding as much as I do. There will be a fire act and a theatre play and so man guests, even the Martells will join us." I told them exitedly.

"All hail the king and his queen then, may your children become as great as you two.", my grandmother said and looked over to Margaery, and she seemed to know exactly what my grandmother meant.