Prologue

__________________________

ASSISTANT EDITOR

Poppyville Daily &
Weekly Magazine

The main duties include assisting the Editor, helping out in sorting of articles, taking interviews and providing new ideas. Editing opportunities will also be provided at times.
Salary will be decided as per the post in the required department.

Qualification Required: Degree in Arts and Media.

Candidates willing to apply please contact this no.
809-44-909
(or email us at poppyville67@metromail.com)
__________________________

Reese Gregory was just lazily walking on her way to her home on a humid evening when a fluttering half-torn pamphlet on the rusty, old gate of Miss Judd's mansion caught her eye. Or at least, what it displayed.

An ad. For a job.

After almost three years of graduating from Simpson's College of Arts and Media, a job was what she was in a desperate need of. She was already twenty one, and given that she'd lost her parents, was completely single and had lost her previous job in a much dramatic way, she could take up any job decent enough for her.

"Assistant editor seems like a good post... I'm qualified enough too..." She mused, only she was mumbling out loud as she held the torn paper to read. "At least Miss Moron will finally shut up"

Miss Morris, or rather Miss Moron as Reese called her, was a typical woman in whose rental house, Reese was living. She was a large, grumpy woman living on her own in a small old house with her own little bakery shop nearby-- and who never failed to mock Reese in one way or another. Sometimes for her unstable financial status, or her way too skinny body, or even the way her brown hair was cut in a bold, neat bob cut-- she just needed a petty reason to scoff at her.

It was mainly because Reese never managed to pay her rent on time, but sometimes it seemed as if she just didn't like her for no apparent reason at all.

Reese, being a regular newspaper reader, had heard the name of this company many a times. It was quite reputed in the locality, and she was definitely going to try and get the job.

Reese quickly wrote down the phone number and email from the pamphlet in her doodle filled diary with a pen. Letting a breath out as she put the diary back in her senescent handbag, she started her journey to her residence again, the tiniest of hope igniting in her mind that maybe, just maybe, she could get this job- and her roller coaster of a life will finally get to ride on a smooth road.

**************

Reese looked at her phone as if it was an object of dread as she sat cross-legged on her creaky bed.

She was eager to tap the 'call' option but at the same time, a feeling of anxiety and pessimism filled her mind like water fills into a sinking boat. Her sweaty and cold thumb hovered over the 'call' and the 'cancel' options, both looking equally appealing to her dubious eyes.

A stray strand of brown hair fell on her face and she tucked it behind her ear subconsciously.

What if the post is already taken?

Am I even qualified enough?

What if I become nervous and then, they insult me and hang up??

Bad predictions were all that she could think of but then, the soothing voice of her other inner self consoled her.

Whatever will happen, will happen. Just call them and see.

What's the worst that could happen anyway? You wouldn't die or something...

The last statement almost made her laugh.

"Okay, so here goes nothing" she muttered as her thumb touched the 'call' option gingerly.

They picked up after six rings, and Reese was taken aback by the sudden 'hello' as she'd almost thought that they would not pick up.

"H-H-Hello" she spoke with a stammer, and then cleared her throat. "It's Reese Gregory speaking here. . . ."

*********
A/N

Okay, so this is my second story on Wattpad...

BUT!

It's my very first attempt in using third person to write a story AND I'M SO FRIKKIN NERVOUS OHMYGAWD!!! 😵

I just hope y'all like it and support it, just like my other books (or book, because one is like, a journal sorta thing 😅)

Constructive criticism is always welcome 😇

PLEASE VOTE, COMMENT & SHARE IF YOU LIKE IT SO FAR! 💝

p.s- The name of the college, the daily, the phone no. and the email are totally made up. They don't really exist.

Keep smiling, spread love 😄