5. The Friendship Handshake

"And when Griffin made the whole office clap for us" Zeiba said, excitedly. "I felt so happy!"

"I know right? Me too" Reese provided as she grinned broadly.

The two were enjoying some good latté with the café's special choco fudge cake. And they had a perfect reason to do so too.

After they'd returned from Steve's house, Mr Griffin was more than elated by their work. Out of immense happiness, he offered to give them a treat in the café during the coffee break the next day and so, here they were, enjoying their 'treat'.

Unlike their very dramatic first day, Reese and Zeiba weren't really bickering (or even choking one another in their imagination) that day. They even managed to sit together in the shop, which was quite the progress. It was a peaceful and bright day for them, and they tended to keep it that way.

Suddenly, Zeiba cleared her throat and Reese looked up, her eyes boring into Zeiba on the opposite side.

"I think we started off on the wrong foot that day..." she spoke in a much thoughtful voice.

Reese stopped midway in savoring her latté and quirked an eyebrow. "Really?"

She dragged the syllable so much that it almost sounded sarcastic to Zeiba but she decided to ignore it.

"Uh. . . yeah" Zeiba shrugged. "Okay so let's start over"

I just stated a fact, grandma.

"So" Reese spoke casually. "You want to be friends with a grandma?"

"Reese" Zeiba was vexed. "If you don't want to--"

"--Okay, okay" Reese interrupted, holding up her hands. "I was kidding. Hmm, so, hi, I'm Reese Gregory and I'm--"

This time, it was Zeiba's turn to interrupt her.

"Sheesh, that's so old-school" she said, doing a straight face.

"No it's not! It is a proper way of starting over"

"Let's do the friendship handshake"

"What the hell is that now?"

Zeiba couldn't help but facepalm.

No wonder you can't make friends. You don't even know the friendship handshake! she thought, shaking her head.

"Here, I'll show you" Zeiba offered. "Take out your right hand"

Amused, Reese took out her hand in front of her, just as Zeiba took out hers.

"Good. Now make a 'yo' sign like this" Zeiba continued, a serious expression stuck on her face, as if she was teaching Reese how to find buried treasures.

"Oh lord, what is this?" Reese mumbled as she made an imperfect 'Yo' sign.

"Now we'll join the two fingers and the thumb" Zeiba said, dismissing her question, as she joined her forefinger, pinkie and thumb with Reese's and a small smile started forming on her lips.

"Now we turn our hands clockwise" Zeiba continued and they both turned their hands. "And here we go! We have officially done the friendship handshake"

As their hands shook, Reese let out a loud chortle, laughing in a free and genuine way.

Such a child she is, she thought as she watched Zeiba giggle while shaking her hand.

"So... friends?" Reese asked and there was a new ease in her voice- she could see that Zeiba was not really as bad as she'd thought.

Zeiba grinned, her brown eyes sparkling.

"Friends"

And with the clink of coffee cups and and an exchange of smiles, enmity was left far behind by the two young souls.

*****
A/N

Yaaaaass the friend 'ship' is sailing! 😂

Plus, thanks to tristfuly for the beauuuutiful cover up there! 😚

If you're enjoying the story till now, plz do show your support by hitting that cute li'l star below and sharing the book! 😜

Adios for now, lovelies!