1. The Two Applicants

Oh my God, this is so awkward...

Is he really reading it or will he not appoint me anyway?

Hurry up already!

Reese's thoughts were getting varied and unstable as she watched the man read through the fat blue file she'd brought.

Mr Griffin, the Editor, was sitting at the back of his table as he looked through Reese's documents. He was a heavyset man, with blonde curly hair and rimmed specs on his long nose. Right then, he looked much engrossed at what he was doing and Reese was getting more and more jittery, sitting opposite to him.

"So you do have an earlier job experience" Mr. Griffin said, slowly lifting the cup of tea from his table as he finally looked away from the documents at Reese, who felt like a small, timid rat at that moment.

"Yeah... a little" she replied as she thought about it. "But it was much different"

"... And you got fired, you said?"

"Kind of... I mean, yes"

"Explain some more?"

Reese bit her lower lip.

"I'd worked at a diner as a waitress. It's quite isolated from the town side but yet, just for a living, I'd taken the job. It was going okay until one day a drunkard came in and I was assigned to wait his table..."

Mr Griffin nodded slowly, indicating Reese to carry on.

She took a deep breath.

"He started to do... inapt things and when he started touching me, well, I couldn't take it. I slapped him. Very hard. But then the manager blamed me for being rude!" she let out a sarcastic laugh. "We had a huge argument. I was really pissed and would've have left the job anyway, if he hadn't fired me. So, that's it. That's how I lost it."

Mr Griffin took a sip from his tea and then, smiled at Reese. "You did the right thing"

Reese let out a sigh of relief.

Just then, the cabin door opened and in came a girl of about Reese's age. She had chubby, rosy cheeks and was dressed in a printed kurta along with ripped jeans. Her raven hair was completely messy and her attempts to tame it into a ponytail weren't really successful. Her eyes were huge, and her lips were almost pouting as she looked from Mr Griffin to Reese and then, back at Mr Griffin.

"Uh... Zac told me to come and talk to Mr Griffin today" she said, confusion edging her voice as she neared the man's desk.

"Well, I'm Mr Griffin. But Zac didn't tell me anything about any girl..." Mr Griffin paused.

"Zeiba. I'm Zeiba Sidique" the girl offered her hand, smiling.

"Well, nice to meet you Zeiba" Mr Griffin replied, shaking her hand. "So I'm guessing you're here for the interview"

Zeiba laughed, as if he was obviously telling a joke. "I think I'm past that phase. Zac appointed me already. He just told me to talk to you once"

Reese had no idea what they were talking about. Who is this Zac? What does this girl mean Zac appointed her? her thoughts were innumerable.

"He said he'd text you and also send my documents" Zeiba spoke again.

Mr Griffin took his phone out from his pocket and kept staring at the screen for a long time.

Both Zeiba and Reese looked at each other, Reese's hazel eyes gazing into Zeiba's brown ones. Zeiba shrugged at her, but Reese looked away awkwardly.

Mr Griffin got out of his seat and walked over to one of the shelves where he took out one brown file to read.

After almost ten minutes of reading, he turned to look at Reese.

Don't tell me I'm not getting this job, Reese thought, as horror and sadness combined in her mind.

"Seems like Miss Zeiba here has the job. I never checked my phone before, or I'd have told you Miss Reese. I'm so sorry for wasting--"

"-- You can't do this" Reese interrupted, though speaking calmly. "I've been answering every question of yours since thirty minutes not for losing this job. I know you'd have given me the job if Zeiba hadn't showed up"

Zeiba raised an eyebrow at the tone in which Reese said her name. I got this job officially too so watch your tone, she told Reese, but only mentally.

"Yes, I would have appointed you but Zeiba has an impressive profile too" Mr Griffin said as he held the brown file up.

"Please Mr Griffin. I can do this job very well" Reese said.

"Well, so can I" Zeiba spoke, tightly crossed armed. "I got this job with my own degree, same as you. But I got it first"

"I don't care, okay? I need this job and I'll get it" Reese snapped.

Mr Griffin watched as the two girls bickered on in front of him.

His heart was kind, and he didn't want to sadden Reese. But at the same time, Zeiba was worthy enough for the job.

Reese is very responsible, but Zeiba has a very good degree and the right working experience too... he compared. Reese looks determined, but Zeiba appears smart too...

So maybe. . .

"Hey, hey stop it now" he silenced them.

"Since you both are qualified and have the perfect skills for this job", he announced. "I'm going to appoint you both. There's enough room for two more staff in the office anyway...."

********
A/N

Friday= Update day! Just as I promised 😄

Well, thoughts about the first chapter?? I so hope it was up to your expectations!🙏

Plllzz vote, comment and add it to your lists if you like 'COFFEE BREAK' coz this is just the beginning amigo 😎

See ya! 🙋✌