Chapter 32 - Fate

"So what's the difference between those things and my grimoire?"

Nivara sighed, noting her disgruntled tone returning as soon as her Trait was involved. Being insecure about grimoires was a common problem with any Traited but mostly the high stressed nobility and completely abandoned Undercity children.

It wasn't a surprise that Charmer was so high strung about it but it needed to be said how to notice a potential Keeper of Trait, even if it was just a hunch. A lot of the trickiest situations she had to deal with was based on suspicion alone so Nivara knew how far a hunch could cause chaos in this world.

"Your grimoire is strong but those who carry an Abnormal, part of the original Trait are more than just strong. They are resilient, capable individuals who have been through more hardships than anyone and their Trait can be used in any situation, even if they are running low."

Nivara hoped her explanation was enough to quell some of her disdain but the Glass Traited simply sulked while her Agar looked as if she had swallowed a whole pound of sugar.

Flitter was hopping about all over the place, eyes wide and excited like someone had offered her free chocolate and was now on the biggest information sugar rush possible.

Nivara smiled politely, internally berating herself to try and lessen the amount of new topics shared to such a young dragon. Memory erase or not, Fleetfoot dragons were known for how quickly they unpicked and digested new topics of information and could rant debate quicker than an angry Sand Wraith.

The problem was, they only spouted words and not actual, logical facts and other dragons would latch onto that and ridicule them all out of the debate. Scale Shriekers were rare, late arrivals but decimated any who would berate any dragon be it logical or not.

It was no wonder Flitter queried her so much when her race was constantly cast out from any public debate. For a budding archaeologist like her that would be like plastering her with a 'we don't talk to idiots' sign and calling any excavation site 'just a hole' and blasting the contents to bits.

"So, how did you come about one and how come you know so much if you've been in Opalis all this time?" Flitter asked, surprisingly goodnaturedly despite wording her questions a little too directly.

Nivara thought for a moment, struggling to pick her words carefully despite the Silvertongue aiding her. Staring into the horizon she tried to catch the Firestorm's attention but the phoenix merely flared brighter in response and her grimoire burned in reply. She smiled, having no doubt there was something written there which might help. But it was the same as before.

She needed to trust herself.

"I do have allies in my home country and I am the Regent of Opalis, after all. I need to be aware of the other leaders' whereabouts and their situation. As for my grimoire? It was a gift from my grandmother."

Charmer's eyes went from wide to an expression of pure confusion and shock. Nivara could almost see the cogs in her head grinding to a stop as she tried to process what had just been said.

"But grimoires are all unique! They can't be stolen, given or gifted. Does that mean...they can be passed to someone else without knowing?"

The Mist Maiden smiled, deciding to say silent and placed her hands in her lap. The mist chairs and table began to darken in colour but Nivara was surprised at her intuition. It wasn't common knowledge that grimoires could have minds of their own but it was more rumour instead of a well known fact.

"You know I can't answer that. It would break our society in half if it did." Nivara said, acutely reminding the two of the current situation in the Undercity.