Chapter 15 - Bewitcher

Warning: this chapter contains graphic violence and torture.  Proceed at your own risk. I'm happy to PM anyone who wants to know what happens without reading it.

Consider yourself warned.

…….

Hawkins stood completely still.

No one was moving, whether out of choice or necessity but judging from Mantis' panicked reaction this was the best course of action for such an unknown Trait. The green haze continued to coil around the young girl, assisting her as she slowly grasped the snake like coils and used it like feelers to assess the situation the only way she could.

Cricket's eyes flitted from milky white to green and back again an unrecognisable expression on her face. Her head turned unnaturally towards the scene, bobbing back and forth much like an insect would before choosing their prey.

No one dared to move as Cull desperately clung to his sister, trying to wake her without the girl noticing. Even Hack was silent as he knelt beside a dazed Odi who tried to suppress a moan from the impact of her crash. Thea flitted around her fellow Firestep Agars, attempting to inform them of the danger but Hazard wasn't listening.

"Heh. What's so scary about a little girl?" He sneered, loudly scraping his claws against the dirt to threaten anyone who came near.

Mantis held her breath, wanting nothing more than to tear the damnable mutts eyes out. With his Agar out of commision, the brown furred wolf was feeling the pull of Trait less and less. If he played his cards right the chances of him escaping this hell hole was closer than ever.

"Will you shut him up!" She hissed at Cull who shook his head rapidly.

Blaize whimpered, mirroring her Agars unease as she nudged her fellow wolf only for Hazard to snap at the amber coated female. Agars or not, Blaize had no control over Hazards actions.

"Not my Agar, remember?" Cull murmured, sparingly using his Trait in a vain attempt to awaken his sister.

"Well someone needs to before Cricket-" Mantis snapped without thinking, her voice lowering instantly just as she was interrupted by the thing she dreaded most.

"Mantis?" A quiet voice, loomed over them both loud and soft all at once.

Hawkins watched as Mantis suddenly seized, shaking violently as she tried to calm herself and clamp her hands over her ears but she soon became as stiff as a board. Cricket's eyes were now focused on her target, pupils completely white while her haze hovered in front of her in an endless chasm of green Trait. She grasped it without looking as it formed an eerily familiar object that all Mediators dreaded. It was the reason for their chosen colour, to prevent those who bore the same hue as them and stop them however they could.

Cricket held her green grimoire in front of her and began to speak.

"What's going on, Mantis?"

Four words. Four words was all it took to send Hawkins world spinning with immense pressure. He clutched his chest and forced himself to stand, clinging to whatever remnants of equilibrium he had to not bend to the sound, the will of the young girls power. Cricket was more than a Traited. She was a true Wrath of Tarragon, even without her eyesight.

"N-nothing, Master Cricket. Everything is f-fine." Mantis managed to blurt out, covering her mouth with her hands to stop herself from vomiting.

Cricket cocked her head curiously towards the sound, walking aimlessly towards them with her haze drifting hypnotically beside her. Hawkins could barely see her through the strength of her Trait but he knew enough stories to know what was happening. Dragons weren't the only ones who could command armies. The power of Cricket's voice could even overthrow the Throneholder of Opalis if she wanted to.