Chapter 4 - Jester

“Damn it all to Hellgrind!”

Nivara swung her fist at the wall, barely making a dent in the smooth, white stone her frustration resulting in nothing more in a sore hand. Leaning her forehead against the wall she allowed herself a few minutes respite, pulling off her hood in annoyance. Her face was still hidden by a marbled blue mask fashioned in the shape of a dragon with hooked edges and an elongated jaw at the rim of her nose. However, the mask failed to hide her angry snarl as she pulled free her long brown hair unravelling it from its loosely tied braid.

“Idiot. What in Laia’s name possessed me to say such a thing? Such an idiot.” She berated herself, knowing full well how much her hastiness had cost her.

She slumped against the pillar, cold to the touch as it provided a peace she never knew she needed until now. Normally the winding hallway outside of the Throneholder’s chambers were heavily guarded and sealed off from the rest of the corridors leading to the main courtyard. The emptiness of the Opalace had proved how stubborn Ethos had truly been. But having no one around allowed her a few moments to herself before the trials of the day continued.

Nivara let out a deep breath, her Trait flickering from her fingertips as she spun them in a small circle, watching the coloured mists swirl about to reveal a slowly emerging storm within the cloudy haze. A small smile began to form as her Trait began to create the image of a dragon flying aimlessly within the sphere of lightning. Allowing her Trait to roam free always put her mind at ease. The storm rumbled behind her, reacting to her sombre mood as the Divide began its daily routine a little earlier than usual.

Nivara scrambled to her feet, a loud knock at the door causing it to rudely swing open just as she tugged her hood back over her head.

“I’m sure Throneholder Ethros would be delighted to see...oh.”

Nivara stood effortlessly still as the armour clad teen sized her up and down as if she were a rusty sword. She kept one hand on the door handle behind her to seem as if she had just emerged from the main chamber to find someone rudely interrupting the end of her meeting.

“May I help you?” Nivara said coldly, half tempted to fold her arms and take her frustrations out on him.

A snide smile curved across his features as the regally dressed young man dropped into a low sweeping bow as he exited himself from the doorway.

“My apologies, Regent Nivara. I was hoping I could speak with Throneholder Ethros about today's Trial.”

Nivara raised an eyebrow but her cowl hid her disinterest. She eyed the gold and white crest of her own Excelliars, suspicious that someone of her own battalion would enter without her knowledge or consent. This would be an interesting topic to take her mind off things for a while. Toying between feigning ignorance or playing dumb, she decided to go along with his badly planned scheme to infiltrate her Throneholders quarters. Empty or not, he should not be here.

“You must be mistaken, cadet. The Order Trial is not until next week. “ She said calmly, knowing full well that he was about to continue to ruin the rest of the day.

“Of course you would think so.
But due to the Throneholders unconventional methods, the Elders have decided to reconvene here. Now.” He said, nodding in agreement as if acknowledging the air for existing.

A small smile tugged at her lips before bursting into laughter, her hand running back the silky material of her hood. He was taken aback, unsure how to respond to such a reaction. Nivara couldn’t help but laugh, compared to the high stakes debate she had just moments ago, this demand and any conversation after it seemed to pale in comparison to being eaten alive.