Chapter Eleven: The Angels Take Manhattan

"New York growled at my window, but I was ready for it. My stocking seams were straight, my lipstick was combat-ready, and I was packing cleavage that could fell an ox at twenty feet."

McKenzie raised her eyebrows below rainbow-tinted sunglasses, lying with her head resting against his stomach. "Yowzah."

"You're doing it again," Amy complained.

"I'm reading!" the Doctor protested.

"Aloud!" Amy pointed out. "Please, could you not."

He frowned, peering at her. "There's something different about you, isn't there?"

"What's the book?" Rory asked.

"Melody Malone," McKenzie replied. "She's a private detective in old town New York."

"She's got ice in her heart and a kiss on her lips, and a vulnerable side she keeps well hidden," Amy added, not looking up from her own book.

"Oh, you've read it?" the Doctor raised his eyebrows.

Amy rolled her eyes. "You read it. Aloud. And then both of you went 'yowzah'!"

Rory snorted. "Only you two could fancy the same person in a book."

"I'm just reading it," the Doctor said defensively. "I just like the cover."

McKenzie sat up, lowering her sunglasses to look at him, a smirk curving her lips. "Ooh, can we see the cover?"

The Doctor's eyes widened. "No, no, I'm busy!"

In a second, she was sat next to Amy with the book in her hands, the two of them looking at the cover and giggling. "Well, I mean... yowzah," McKenzie teased.

"It's your hair!" the Doctor exclaimed, pointing at Amy to try and change the subject. "Is it your hair?"

Amy sighed. "Oh, shut up. It's the glasses. I'm wearing reading glasses now, on my nose, see? There you go."

He frowned. "I don't like them. They make your eyes look all liney." He lifted them up, then made a face. "No, actually, sorry. They're fine. Carry on."

Rory's eyes widened. "Okay, I'm going to go and get us some more coffee. Who wants more coffee? Me too. I'll go."

"Ooh, me three!" McKenzie exclaimed, jumping to her feet and handing her husband his book back. She grabbed her trenchcoat from the grass, slipping it on.

"Rory, do I have noticeable lines on my eyes now?" Amy asked.

"Yes," the Doctor said.

"No," Rory said, not turning around.

Amy narrowed her eyes. "You didn't look."

He turned. "I noticed them earlier. Didn't notice them. I specifically remember not noticing them."

"You walk among fire pits, Centurion."

He raised his eyebrows. "Do I have to come over there?"

She smirked. "You can if you like."

"Well, we have company," he pointed out, crouching to her level.

"I got a babysitter." They kissed, and the Doctor made a face.

"Do you know, it is so humiliating when you do that."

"Come here," McKenzie said, kneeling in front of him and pulling him into a kiss, distracting him completely.