Chapter 3

"But you look human," I blurt out. I pace up and down the hallways, trying to make sense of this new information.

This isn't right. Sure, I've always felt there was something off about him, but I've never thought he was anything but human. I shouldn't even have to consider that.

"Quite the contrary," Ronan says, "Isn't it humans who resemble us?"

I shouldn't be surprised anymore, given all that I've been through. It shouldn't be that big of a deal, right? So what if he's a demon?

A sane person would be scared out of their mind when confronted with something unworldly. Unfortunately, years of witnessing abnormal things has distorted my perception of what's normal and what's not.

However, something still strikes me odd. I have too many questions and not enough answers.

I look at the shadow, then at Ronan, then the shadow again. "You two...," I say in a daze, "...are related?"

His expression immediately stiffens, and he gives me a dark stare. "I'll kill you." A dangerous aura drifts off of him and I begin to feel uneasy. If I anger him, he might really kill me.

I clasp my hands together and put on an act. "Oh, forgive me mighty demon. I should have never compared someone so powerful with that weak thing."

It seems those little demons I saw before and this shadow that attacked me aren't demons, after all. They're 'parasites', as Ronan had said.

He nods, a conceited grin back in its rightful place. I'm saved. "Luckily I'm a forgiving person, so I'll spare you. Besides, I still need to bring you back to my superiors."

"Excuse me?" I must have heard him wrong, but he doesn't seem like he's going to repeat himself.

"You see, you intrigue me. At first glance, you're clearly human. But why is it that I can sense some demon in you?"

Me? A demon? The very idea is hilarious. I try stifling my laugh but fail, irritating Ronan in the process.

I clear my throat. "That's impossible. I'm human, born and raised." It's amazing how fast I've managed to adjust to this situation. I've had my share of crazy in my meager seventeen years than anyone could experience within two lifetimes.

He takes a few steps closer, closing off the distance between us. He's taller than I thought – a few more inches than me. My shoulders sink under his stare. "Haven't you ever felt that you were different?" He asks, looking down to meet my eyes.

"That...that is...," I trail off.

Different.

"They say everyone close to her is destined to die."

Too different.

"What a scary child."

Yes, I'm different.

"I don't want my kid near her."

I've known it all my life. I pretended not to notice.

"I might as well tell you," Ronan says indifferently. He seems preoccupied with cleaning the blade of his sword, polishing it to his heart's content. "I was assigned by my superiors to investigate the unusual amount of death energy in this area. The more I investigated, the more all the loose ends tied to you. 'The Shadow' nested here because it was following your scent – your demon scent."

"I...don't understand." My mind is a whirl of unfinished thoughts and the sickening feeling in my stomach grows more powerful with every second.

"The longer you stay here, the more you'll endanger the people around you – the people you love."