Chapter 8

"But the Elder just said..," I say, my resolve weakening with every word.

This is what I was afraid of - that I'd grow to rely on him. I have no one, and he's made that very clear.

Ronan leads me past the residences and man-made streams, joining the corridor we had arrived from. "I agreed to take up a teaching position. I never agreed to babysit," he says, sealing my fate.  

I follow the dark haired man silently, trusting him for what is probably the last time.

We come across a wide bridge, sturdy enough to hold a whole army. We cross the arching bridge, leaving the mountain the empire calls home and reaching another fierce looking mountain. A flight of stairs carved into the rocky mountain awaits us on the other side. The stairs wind around the mountain, seemingly never ending.

I steady my breathing as we hike up the mountain, making sure I don't lose consciousness like I almost did previously. I have no value anymore, so if I do fall, there's no guarantee Ronan will bother catching me.

As I pace my breathing with the steps I take, I begin to feel my face grow hot, along with my annoyance.

So what if I don't have him to protect me anymore? I don't need him. I can make it through this on my own.

My fatigue might be impairing my judgement, but it doesn't matter anymore. "I don't think what you said earlier was a very nice thing to say."

I watch the back of his head warily until I hear him respond, "Being nice is for the weak."

I shake my head, knowing he can't see me. Being nice is a fundamental part of being human, but I suppose that doesn't apply to demons. It's not like I was expecting an apology from him, but I don't want to part with only memories of him bossing me around.

"Fine," I say, "I was getting a little tired of seeing your face anyway."

I'm satisfied with my snide comment, even giving myself a congratulatory pat on the back, until I see that Ronan has stopped. I lose control of my balance for a moment and quickly grip a bright green plant growing alongside the mountain for support.

"Tired of my face, you say?" A feeling of dread overcomes me and I grip the plant tighter. "We'll see how you fare without me around. Careful with your words, little pup."

I breathe a sigh of relief when he continues climbing the steps. I'm constantly walking on eggshells around him, unable to express myself.

The mountain we're treading has a harsher terrain compared to the previous mountain which was decorated with lush vegetation, streams, and beautiful palaces. The current gloomy atmosphere only enhances the sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach.

"It's been awhile," Ronan says as we reach a level area of the mountain. The stairs continue further ahead, but hopefully I'll never find out where it ends.

He stops, takes in the sight before him and breathes out a sigh. "Just when I thought I was done with this place, now I'm back where I started."

I tilt my neck to take in all of the dormitory - a set of four stone buildings connected by thick walls, forming a square shape. Mist shrouds the bottom of the dormitory, adding to the ominous atmosphere.

Ronan snaps me out of my trance. "What are you waiting for? Get in there," he says, annoyance plastered on his face.

Gripping the sides of my arms, I take small steps towards my doom. Each step feels like a test of bravery. I'm so used to following other people's footsteps I've forgotten what it feels like to take my own.