Chapter 6

A hand rests on my back and narrowed eyes stare back at me. I don't know whether to be scared of this dark haired man or the fact that I almost plunged to my death.

"If you die on me now, I'll kill you," Ronan speaks words of comfort. I silently place my feet back onto the smooth white marble. "You're weak, even for a human."

I cast my gaze to the ground, feeling small. I know I'm weak but it still sucks to hear it said out loud.

The palace sits high upon the land, arrogantly looking down at the rest of the Empire. It's even more intimidating up close. I feel like I could walk alongside it for days and still not find where it ends. The tops of roofs peek out from behind the gate, as if trying to sneak a glance at the newcomers.

Two bronze statues in the shape of men guard the enormous gate, spears blocking the entrance. Ronan pauses before the bronze statues and the eyes of the statues stare down at us, nearly giving me a heart attack.

With a rumble, the gate opens by itself and the statues draw their spears back, revealing an open square courtyard filled to the brim with people. Wealthy looking men and women dressed in exquisitely crafted robes crowd around the center of the courtyard.

A single man, bare chested with jewels adorning his neck, gladly accepts the crowd's attention. Hands lifted upwards, a single flame erupts from his palms, turning into the figure of a horse cutting through the night air with incredible speed. The crowd eagerly claps in awe, their money bags already at hand.

Behind the entertainment is a formidable looking palace connected to smaller passageways that surround the square courtyard. Guards in heavy golden armor seal off the palace entrance, meaning whoever lies inside the palace must be incredibly important.

"Noise everywhere I go," Ronan grumbles at the unpleasant turn of events. He turns to the lantern floating patiently beside him and whispers something to it once again. The lantern immediately takes off in the direction we came from.

A middle aged man with a green robe almost immediately approaches us. Sweat dampens his forehead and his attention still seems preoccupied with the events occurring behind him. "Sir, how may I be of service?"

Ronan doesn't answer immediately. "It seems there's a big event today," He notes in a light hearted manner, staring back at the crowd.

The green robed man wipes his forehead and gives a polite smile. "Ah, yes. His Majesty is entertaining nobles from the Drago Empire."

Ronan's expression darkens. "The Drago Empire? That's a surprise."

"Our Inferno Empire is currently working towards peaceful relations with our long-time rival," He says, "And with the young princess of Drago Empire taking residence here, a peace treaty might not be out of the question."

"I see," Ronan says, in deep thought.

The middle aged man nervously glances back at the entertainment. "Young sir, may I ask for your name?"

It's clear that we don't look like wealthy nobles. In fact, I look more like a beggar compared to the wealthy ladies.

"Chief Eunuch, I'm an early spirit stage cultivator of the foreign division," He says, "I've returned to report to Elder Song."

Something flashes in the Eunuch's eyes. "Is your name, perhaps, Ronan?" When Ronan doesn't respond, the older man nods. "It is, isn't it? Let me escort you to the Elder's residence."

Ronan lets out a stiff laugh, the sides of his lips turning at an odd angle. He really shouldn't smile unless it's to mock someone. "You're too kind. But I'm sure, as the Chief Eunuch, you're busy making sure the event runs smoothly."