03 ‖ Nincompoops

My eyes flicker while I adjust to the brightness of the room as a result of the beams of light that pierce through the window pane into the room

I pull myself out of bed very reluctantly before throwing on a plain white shirt and a pair of dark blue denim jeans. I grab my handgun and stuff it into one of the inner pockets of my black leather jacket.

School.

Over the years, that word seems to have only grown to sound more foreign. It has been a while since I was forced to drop out. No, it was not because we could not afford education. Rather, with affluence came jealousy and a whole lot of backstabbing. Believe it or not, my family used to be on the wealthier end in Arcton. 

In fact, we even had the choice to move to Acreria but I did not want to. I had built my entire life in Arcton and it was where I wanted to be in my future as well.

However, she wanted to leave Arcton.

If only we had gone with her preference instead. Maybe then tragedies could have been avoided and perhaps, our family would still be a whole.

I traipse out of my room and head towards the only unholy sector of the palace. In fact, I myself would call it the unholiest place in the world.

That is right, we are talking about Casimir's room. Now thinking about it, maybe it is not the place but rather the person that is unholy.

My eyelids are heavy and it feels like I am on the brink of knocking out. After my conversation with Casimir last night, I could not stop wondering if he was right regarding my morals as a human. As a result, I barely had any proper rest.

Usually, sleeping is something that I am able to do effortlessly. In fact, when I was seven, I once believed that some humans are meant to hibernate all winter. I also thought that I was one of those humans because of how much I loved to sleep and ended up telling my parents to wake me up in April. Who knew that the day I had woken up was actually the same day I had begun to hibernate?

Turns out, humans do not hibernate. Unfortunately. Sleeping is like being dead without the commitment and basically an escape from reality that I very much need.

The second I am at the doorstep of Casimir's room, I knock on his door gently.

"Your highness, it's time for school."

Silence.

I knock again but this time with a little more force.

"Hey Casimir, are you awake?"

Silence again.

At this point, I start to become impatient thinking that he is intentionally ignoring me because of last night. I hastily swing open the door, only to see Casimir laying in his bed. He squints his eyes and furrows his eyebrows in annoyance.

"God, it's you again," Casimir grumbles in exasperation as he pulls the blanket over his head.

"My bad, I thought you were already awake. We have to head to school." I apologise for rudely barging into his room.