27 ‖ Only A Warning

"Antonio"

"Antonio"

Alvaro's voice slices through the tense atmosphere, momentarily breaking its hold on us.

"What a not-surprise to see you before me too, your Highness." Antonio greets Alvaro with a saccharine smile, his tone drips with condescension and menace.

"What do you even want from me? The Draydons, we treated you like family. I looked up to you. Yet, you've betrayed us and now what? It's been years since you've incited the rebellion. Is it fun messing with us for this long? Have we ever wronged you?" Alvaro gradually loses his composure, his calm exterior shattering as his voice cracks with frustration and confusion that must have festered all these years stemming from Antonio's betrayal.

"Oh," a menacing chuckle escapes Antonio's lips, tinged with disbelief.

His fingers curl inwards as he clenches the armrests of the throne, his knuckles visibly turning white from the force of his grip.

"You know very well what you've done. However, seeing how you've brought my dearest daughter before me, perhaps I can consider keeping your fiancée alive." Antonio snorts, as he shifts his soulless gaze from Alvaro onto me, sending shivers down my spine.

It was him.

He took Rosalia.

I find myself searching for the warmth that had once been there; the fatherly love that was irreplaceable, but now all that is left behind in his gaze is only an empty void.

Is there truly no humanity left in him?

Perhaps noticing my shock, Casimir steps forward slightly, pulling me behind him. Not only Casimir, but Alaistair also steps forward, shielding me from Antonio's stare.

They must be so confused.

The daughter of Exalos' most wanted traitor.

It does not even end there.

The daughter of the traitor who abducted the Princess.

This probably marks the end of my journey as Casimir's bodyguard, I suppose. There is no way that Acreria will accept him as King if I continue to stay by his side.

My thoughts get interrupted by Alvaro's voice which abruptly heightens with agitation.

"You bastard, you better not lay a finger on her. If she's even scratched by the slightest, I will have your head." Alvaro's tone drips with venom, his words laced with intimidation and malice.

Antonio raises an eyebrow patronisingly and scuffs at what he probably considered a mere threat, as though he is certain that there is no possible way for Alvaro to lay his hands on him.

"If it was any other day, I would love to entertain that pathetic threat of yours. But, she is someone who I have been searching for much longer." Antonio dismisses Alvaro as he stands up from the throne and points a finger in my direction, a gesture that sends a chilling sensation creeping up my back.