0 | 3

I blinked my eyes. Did I read that right? I looked at Hunt to listen to his answer, even though I knew what he was going to say.

"Yes, there are more like you."

  I nodded slowly, still trying to process the new information. "So I have to work with them to help find this killer? And who they're working for?"

"I'll admit, you took this whole thing quite well. Better than all the others did."

      Maybe it would have been better if I had just taken the long way home, and avoided this whole mess.

     "This is such a bad idea," I muttered under my breath. There was no way that a bunch of people with various powers were going to not all kill each other. I frowned when I realized that might be exactly what their plan was. What if the ONNT was putting all of us together, hoping that we'd kill each other and take care of their mess?

"Delphinium, I know you have your doubts, but you really have no choice. The council has voted and this is their choices. It was either this or be constantly monitored," Damien Hunt informed me, looking more than serious than ever.

      When I made no response yet again, he sighed and said, "This is your government, and as stubborn as we are to admit it, we need you. You and the others."

"Why?" I exploded, anger filling me. "So that we can all die and you normal people can rest easy about killers like me maybe trying to take over America someday?" I questioned him angrily, slamming my hands onto the armrests on my metal chair. I didn't get angry very often anymore, but when I did, it was for a good reason.

"Delphinium, I understand your anger. You didn't ask for any of this, and you had no say in what was going to happen to you. I understand. That's why we're going to give you all the resources possible to help you. For the next few days, you'll meet your new team. Then when the government deems it necessary, you will all go and begin your mission." The calmness of Hunt's voice infuriated me.

"What about the normal life I've been trying so hard to live? I'm just supposed to give that up?"

      "Maybe the reason you have to try so hard to be normal is because you aren't like the rest of us. Maybe you can't live a normal life because you're not meant to. What if this is what you were born for?" I hated to admit it, but Hunt may have just brought up a decent point.

      On the inside, deep down, I knew I didn't have much to live for in my life right now. But I think I'd rather have that life than one that was filled with uncertainty. I'd already lived that life, and I'd been fighting for my life at every turn. I wasn't exactly excited to go back to that.

      "What if you underestimated this terrorist and we all get killed? What then?" I asked, taking all my anger out on him.

      "I can assure you that I will do everything in my power to not let that happen. You have my word." I slowly nodded again, accepting his promise, even though I didn't trust him in the slightest.

As he gathered together all the files again and put them into the file cabinet, Damien questioned, "Anything else you want to know before you go?"

After a moment of thought, I asked, "How long will we be under your authority like this? When will you let us have normal lives again, and not live in fear of what we could do?"

Shaking his head at me, Hunt informed me, "Though you could be a potential danger, it's not that as much as the fact that we're scared of what could happen if the wrong people knew about your abilities. You have already been used for them once. When will that stop?"

I dropped my gaze to the concrete floor, but apparently, Damien wasn't done. "One of you has already been weaponized for what you can do. I don't want that for the others. And to answer your first question, you can live normal lives when this killer is found, you've had the training to protect yourself and when I fully trust you."

The director was about to stand up from his desk when I thought of one more problem. "Why have you recruited us to find this guy? Why not send out trained military personnel?"

"We have. None of them returned. We would continue to use them, but this is not the only threat that is facing America at the time being. This is a dire time. And with your knowledge in espionage combined with all the others' talents and abilities, I think you might be able to find something."

"Let's hope so," I muttered quietly, but Hunt heard me anyway.

"Delphinium, obedience doesn't come naturally to you does it?" he asked quietly, watching me with those wise eyes.

I stayed quiet for a minute before answering, "I've learned that obedience doesn't always lead to the best choices."

He nodded and stood up. "Well Delphinium, I have one more person to talk to. A driver will take you to where you and your new team will be staying from now on. Something tells me that you won't be disappointed."

      I didn't mention that I was disappointed the second that one of his soldiers tasered me.

Damien got up and unlocked the chains on my legs with his keys. I slowly stood up and began to walk on slightly shaky legs toward the doorway that he had come through. I stopped suddenly when I realized something, and turned around.

"I could kill you right now. No one would know." It wasn't that I was actually going to do it. However, I wanted to see his reaction and hear his response.

He looked me straight in the eye and said "Delphinium, you're more than the killer they made you to be." And with that, he walked out of the room into a door opposite me.