[82] hotel room

82

there was a soft knock on the door. i knew who it would be without asking.

i swung open the door, coming face to face with grant. his face was red and fallen, his tie loose and crooked, his hair messy like he'd been pulling at it.

"ainsley." he breathed in at the sight of me.

i must've looked like a trainwreck, my makeup smudged and tears dripping down. grant didn't say anything, though. he just stepped inside without another word, shutting the door softly behind him. he wrapped his arms around me immediately, cradling me into his chest.

"i don't want to get makeup on your suit," i muttered, trying to pull myself away.

"i don't care about the suit, ainsley," he sighed, holding onto me.

i stopped trying to fight him, letting myself sink into his hug. one of his hands stroked my hair, while the other rubbed the small of my back. we stayed like that for a while, without another word. he knew better than to ask if i was okay, because i clearly was not. and i hated myself for that.

eventually, the hug broke and i headed to the bathroom to clean myself up. the tears had stopped flowing now, nothing but stains of black mascara running down my face.

i wiped away the makeup, and pulled my hair into a ponytail. i slipped into an old shirt and gym shorts i had grabbed on the way in. i didn't care how grant saw me, whether it was while dressed for an awards show or sobbing over a stupid boy in old, non-flattering clothes. he was one of my best friends, and best friends didn't have to be all made up for each other.

i stepped out of the bathroom, nothing but the redness of my eyes left to indicate my previous crying.

grant was stretched out on my hotel bed, his jacket off and hanging from a desk chair. he looked over at me, his eyes wandering from my bare face to the running shorts i'd thrown on to sleep in.

"hey," i whispered, standing in the bathroom doorway.

"hey," he repeated, throwing his legs over the edge of the bed to sit up. "better?"

"i guess," i answered, not really sure. "listen, you don't have to stay, grant. you should get back to the party."

he shook his head. "nah, i'm staying right here," he answered with a shrug. then his eyes widened slightly as he held up his hands, "i mean, not for the night. just as long as you want me here."

my lips curled into a small smile as i nodded at him. "thanks," i sighed. i made my way over to the bed, sitting on the edge next to him.

my gaze drifted to the ground, my mind playing over all the events that had just happened tonight.

"hey, grant, what were you trying to tell me before... i left?" i asked, looking over at him. he was already watching me, his eyes soft.

he shook his head, "it can wait."

"okay," i nodded once. i let out a tired sigh, leaning my head against his shoulder. his arm wrapped around my shoulders, holding me tightly next to him.

"do you want to talk about... you know?" he questioned.

"no," i huffed. "honestly, i just feel ridiculous for caring so much."

"don't," he whispered. "it's not ridiculous."

__________
hey all! so, this is the last update for about a week because i'm going to be out of the country. but, actually, it seems as though my plans are falling through due to some issues (bc the dmv is mean i guess) and i don't even know if i'll be able to go. i'm so stressed i gave myself a cold. great, right? wish me luck please. if all goes according to plan, i'll see you all next year 😘