➳ 30

"I'm not in love with you," Moony said to Dylan when they met the following day, after hours of deliberation on her behalf. She'd spent most of the previous night curled up in her bed, questioning whether or not she should call him back, and what she was going to say if she did. Eventually, she'd resorted to calling Presley and Sophie, both of whom turned up at her door minutes later with ice cream and chocolate, and demanded to know what happened. Cara, too, had turned up, uninvited and unaware of what had happened earlier that day, claiming to have had some sixth 'sister' sense. Cara, ever the wise older sister, had simply told her to talk to Dylan and tell him what she wanted to tell him— what she needed to tell him.

"I figured," Dylan slumped in his seat and, though he tried to hide it, Moony saw how disappointed he looked. 

"I'm actually— I'm kind of in a relationship," She admitted, scratching the back of her neck. "Have been for nearly three months, actually."

"What?" Dylan's eyes were wide, now, and he discarded his mug on the coffee table in order to lean forward. "Are you just telling me this so you don't have to reject me properly?"

"No!" Moony shook her head, then pulled her phone from her pocket. She unlocked it, clicked on her Gallery, and then scrolled through until she found the photo she was looking for. She then handed it to Dylan, who took it with drawn brows and a deep-set frown.

"This is—," Dylan cut himself off, looking up from the phone to stare at Moony.

"Benjamin, yeah," She smiled, somewhat weakly, as she took the phone from Dylan's hands, which immediately clenched into fists once he was done. "We— I've liked him for a while, and I never thought he reciprocated my feelings, but he did— he does."

"Why— Why didn't you tell me?" Dylan asked, "About your feelings? About your relationship?"

"You know me," She chuckled, but it sounded forced, "I don't like to make my feelings known to many people but Cara when they're of the romantic persuasion. And I was going to tell you about my relationship, but we got together around the time you started, uhm, you know." She waved her hand. Dylan nodded, averting his gaze from the girl.

"I'm still— I'm still sorry about that, you know," He cleared his throat, "I just didn't know how to handle it. It's hard to have feelings for your best friend."

"Preaching to the choir," Moony whispered, "Except, you know, with a different best friend and all that."

"Do you think—," He paused, "Do you think things could go back to the way they were before?"

"I hope so, Dyl'," She nodded, smiling softly at the boy she'd grown to see as one of her closest friends over the year and a half that they'd known each other. "I really hope so."

---

irl convo between #moonberry

bet you guys weren't expecting this, #oops

*sips tea*