Chapter 2 - Shortcomings

Out of all the things that could’ve happened this summer, saving Harry Styles, mega star and celebrity crush of mine, is the only thing that I could’ve never imagined. I mean, saving someone else, maybe, but Harry? Never in a million years. I mean, what are the odds? Even if I already knew this was a retreat for celebrities and now they come to the lake, I never imagined I would meet him like this. I never imagined I would meet him at all, period.

Isn’t life crazy? Throwing twists and turns at you that you never saw coming. But at the same time, that’s what makes it exciting.

I know my life is pretty boring and lonely, not by choice though. But still, there’s wonder in every direction you turn to. From the moment you wake up until you go to bed. Don’t you get overwhelmed at the thought that you are actually living and breathing and opening your eyes every morning? Do you ever think of how complex your whole body is yet everything is working to make you go through another day, even if it’s the dullest day ever? You are still a miracle in some way.

I don’t have much in my life. I don’t have friends. All my sisters are gone and I only have my father, and we struggle to make ends meet but I still think life is a gift, the most precious gift. Everything is wonderful and sometimes —okay, all the time— I wish I could be strong and independent as to go and see the world outside. To see what my sisters call their world. To experience a different kind of life.

Sometimes I still have dreams in which I’m not this painfully shy, in which I stand on a stage, in front of a massive crowd and sing for them. I see some faces crying, touched with my music. I see people clapping, proud of me. I see my father and even my mother, with the biggest smiles playing on their lips.

But those are dreams, dreams I can’t afford.

Life is wonderful, but we all have limitations. You can’t say you’re perfect or anything. We are all miracles in a way, but even miracles are imperfect and have shortcomings. Some will keep us in one place, some can be overcome; either way there’s always something. My shortcoming is my shyness and it’s keeping me from living more wonders of this life, but I have others wonders to live. I have to focus on those, right?

I may not become a successful singer, but I have the lake, I have my father and I have my life. I can be happy with these. And just look at me, I just saved a superstar from drowning. If the world knew, they would be thanking me.

Although the lake now is, sort of, part of Drennan’s Retreat Centre, our house and big part of the land here is still private property. With Dad we had to build up a fence —white and short, very cute— to show the limits of the property. Basically, guests can only access the lake, dock and the little cottage that has some blankets, a boat and other supplies. Necessary stuff when you have a lake nearby.

I cross the fence and still wrapped in a big towel, I walk inside the house. There are still lights on even when it’s past midnight. I’m getting used to get home around this time and I don't like that Dad tries to wait for me because he wakes up so early every morning whilst he still allows me to sleep a few more hours. He needs to get proper rest.

When I close the door and walk towards the living room, where I know he’s waiting, I find him sleeping on the sofa. He clearly was waiting for me but fell asleep before I made it back home. I sigh and shake my head, setting a mental note to scold him tomorrow —again— for not going to bed earlier.

I grab a blanket we keep around and cover him so he won’t get cold. I won’t wake him up and try to carry him to his room. He’s already sleeping here. I, however, go to my room as quietly as I can, getting ready to go to bed.