Chapter 21 - Language

After a while, Harry needs to leave and I have to do my own chores around. Although I’d like to stay and spend more time with him, I think it’s better to part ways for now. I’m just starting to get comfortable around him and I can’t take that much all at once. Small doses are safer.

Even when he’s not around anymore, I don’t lose my smile and that happiness that makes me want to burst out singing. That energy inside of me, that feeling that I’m on top of the world. I remember his smile and the way he looked at me and I feel happy again. I remember the way his hand felt in mine and I feel my heart racing all over again. I wonder if I’ll stop feeling this way one day, if I’ll get so used to talk to people, to Harry, that it won’t be special anymore. Maybe it’s going to be like it’s for anyone else: something normal.

I kind of like how it is now. Not the how difficult it is part, but the how special it is. I like that just saying hello is something big and important. I like that even a few sentences are a big progress. I like the feeling of achievement that takes over me later. I don’t want to lose that, but I know that if I keep improving and doing my homework, the day when conversing with someone will come eventually.

I wonder if other people marvel at the idea of talking to someone else. Do they see how magical it is to establish conversation? Do they realise how incredible is to be able to speak your mind and get your point across? Do they understand how wonderful is to hear someone’s thought and understand someone else? Do they grasp how beautiful is to share ideas? Or do they take communication for granted?

I think… I think that even if talking becomes natural for me, I’ll never take it for granted. I already appreciate how special speaking is; it will always be something I hold dear to me. Like the lake. That thought puts me at ease, knowing that I’ll never be someone who doesn’t appreciate the importance of communication. A proper communication, with all the words so you can express properly.

At dinner I even ask Dad about this.

“Do you realise how marvellous communication is?” I ask him playing a bit with the food on my plate.

He remains in silence for a bit before answering, “I never stopped to think about it, but now that you mention it, I can see it. It must be really hard not being able to say what you want.” And he stays quiet again and I know he’s staring at me. “It must be so hard for you because I know you have so much to say. You see things that everybody else takes for granted.”

“I’m… I’m actually managing to say what’s in my mind to others. I hope one day I’ll be able to do it more confidently,” I whisper and the next second I feel his hand grabbing mine.

“You’ll accomplish anything that you want, if you really want it, Ariel. Just keep doing your best.” I look up and meet his eyes. Dad is smiling kindly at me, fatherly, in that way that makes me feel protected. I see him again like the most powerful man on Earth, a man who can save from any monster and threat. I see him again like the hero I always thought he was when I was a little girl, like the king of the seas.

“Thank you, Dad,” I tell him with a smile. It’s always nice knowing that someone believes in you. It’s easier to believe in yourself when someone else already does it.

After that the rest of dinner goes by easily and soon I have to say goodnight and leave to the retreat centre after I make sure Dad goes to bed. I make my way to the complex calmly, humming a song by Jessie J until I finally arrive to my destination. As Mare is not around, I start cleaning and tuning all the instruments, enjoying my time alone with them. I know she’ll come later to show me the video and keep working on my problem. I want to tell her about today, I want to see her happy because I keep making progress.