CHAPTER 30 - Chop, Chop

*ramekins=bowls/cups

*ISI container is like a long column like thing, in which whatever liquid we put in , comes out as a foam. In engineer's terminology, input=liquid, output=foam. Gotcha?

*Some(most) chefs that I will mention in this book are real. Of course sometimes their actual work might be a bit different than how it is represented here, just in the technicalities, like I don't know if Jamie Oliver partners with other chefs in his program, but he does have a program as I mention below. Just some minute details might be different. Enjoy!

(^^^^^^ that is JAMIE OLIVER)

RAGINI'S POV

I opened the door of the kitchen and stepped in. It was exactly 10 o'clock right now that means the prep was lunch service was now beginning. Lunch time was 12.00 to 2.30 p.m.

The menu kept on changing every day. There would be a few dishes that would be prepared everyday. Chef Inolas believed less is more, in terms of the number of dishes that would be prepared on a particular day. He was not a huge fan of making hundreds of dishes and just shoving them over the counter. The minimal number of dishes that would be prepared would take hours of prep and cooking time, and they would always be plated carefully, and only after Chef Inolas' approval would they go out to the customers.

Today I was assigned the dessert section and I had to handle it along with the pastry chef, Chef Sabina Morsel, who was also a sous-chef.

"Morning Chef." I said to Chef Sabina.

"Ah. Good Morning Chef Ragini, come help me." Chef Sabina said as I saw what she was doing. She was peeling mangoes and there were strawberries too, amongst other things that were kept on the counter.

I started cleaning my knives. Soon, I moved onto peeling the mangoes and cleaning the strawberries. Chef Sabina had told me what we were making for the lunch service,- 'Choco lava cake filled with strawberry coulis' , 'Mango Cheesecake with Mango Sorbet' and an 'Eton Mess with crispy meringue.' So I started prepping for that. I started working on my meringue and mango sorbet and strawberry . There were multiple elements in the 3 desserts that we had to make, and the time always, always seemed to be ahead of us.

I started putting the mango in the blender to make the mango sorbet that would be the part of one of the desserts. After I was done with that, I needed to work with my chocolate to develop the Choco-Lava Cake. It was one of the customer favourites, and it needed to be done perfectly as timing is a very important factor for the outer layer of the Choco Lava Cake. I started melting the chocolate pieces in a double boiler and kept on mixing the chocolate continuously so that the mixture did not have lumps. Then I took it off the boiler and poured in my wet ingredients in it first. In another bowl I mixed all my dry ingredients and then poured them in the bowl of the wet mixture. I kept on mixing it repeatedly till I was happy with the consistency.