Chapter 2| Dakota Anderson [REWRITTEN]

"my daddy put a gun to my head, said if you kiss a boy, i'm gonna shoot you dead"

parents • yungblud

***

    It was a quarter to one in the morning when I broke away from the girl whose arms were coiled around my neck like a snake. "Sorry babe," I faked a frown, "I've got places to be."

    Without waiting for her response, I turned and walked toward the kitchen to get a drink. Sex with Connor and then a half-hearted makeout session with whoever caught my attention first had left me in desperate need of hydration.

    Going and kissing other people straight after sex with Connor probably wasn't the greatest idea because now it's going to be hard to get them to leave me alone. Then again, I've got to keep my reputation alive.

    Rifling through the fridge's contents, I pulled out a bottle of water and twisted the cap off. I leaned back against the countertop, taking slow sips while watching sweaty teenagers quickly unravel under the influence of strong alcohol and dim lighting.

    "There you are." Quinton, one of my best friends, sidled up beside me. "I've been looking everywhere for you the past hour. Where'd you disappear to?"

    I smirked around the mouth of the bottle. "Oh, you know. Around."

    Quinton barked out a laugh, used to my evasive answers by now.

    A moment of silence settled between us before I asked, "Have you seen Keegan? We should head out soon. It's getting late." My gaze flicked around the room in search of our missing friend.

    Quinton shook his head, glasses askew across the bridge of his nose. "I last saw him chatting up some girl from the softball team but that was over an hour ago."

    I took that as it was and raised the bottle to my lips again. The song had changed to some obnoxious EDM mix – the kind only twenty-something guys showing off in luxury sport cars listened to. Furniture had been shoved up against the walls of the room to construct a makeshift dance floor and students from both Ridgemount and Northshore were performing moves no person should ever have to observe sober.

    This was nothing new. Someone threw a party every week and each school would flock to it like dim-witted pigeons. Of course, I couldn't really speak since I often ended up there too but my reasons were different. Win or lose, people expected me to make an appearance. It came with the territory of being soccer Captain. Besides, it's not like we didn't usually appear without a victory in our hands. Our team was the best and everyone knew it.

    Quinton and I watched as a Northshore player broke away from the crowd, cupping one hand over his mouth. Quinton grimaced and I rolled my eyes as we watched him throw up in a pot plant.