Chapter 8

"Alright. What can you offer to the issue?" I asked once I'd regained my composure. Oskar smiled at me and his sinister expression reminded me so much of all the slimy men I'd had to deal with as a human. It made sense, really, because that was definitely the category of humans Oskar would have fit into before the change. "We're waiting."

"Yes, cousin," Kare leant forward to look at Oskar beside me, tearing his eyes away from assessing Victoria and the maid alternatively. "Tell us. You made me bring you here and if you do not have any insight into my baby brothers resurrection then I will rip you limb from limb."

My heart fluttered slightly at Kare referring to Leif as his baby brother. I had no idea how the spirit thing worked but I hoped if Leif was about he heard that. Not only would it make him feel more appreciated but it would be the kind of comment he would hold Kare to for the rest of eternity. If he got to come back to eternity, of course. The thought sobered me up a little and I glared at Oskar with more conviction.

"I can give you the address of the French necromancers if that's anything." Both Kare and I let out pathetically hopeful gasps and Oskar cackled. He had us right in the palm of his hand and, I assumed, that nothing made him happier than that.

"Well," I hissed, as the maid disappeared back into the kitchen, presumably to fetch whatever meal Victoria had approved. Oskar took a slow sip of wine, purposefully moving slowly, every slight movement so obviously intentional. There was nothing in him that committed to the family ties he once held. He'd proved that time and time again even against his own siblings. It all left a bad taste in my mouth and an unnerving question. "What do you want for that information?"

Straightening in my chair, I clasped my hands together. If it had just been Kare it would have been a pleasant nostalgic evening-albeit one including bloodshed. While I was unprepared for a business meeting or political event or whatever described whatever Oskar wanted it was a game I'd played a million times before. The role of political leader and negotiator was not one I particularly liked but it was one that had been thrust upon me many times. After a few hundred years it got easy.

"I don't quite like your attitude, girl." The comment made me bite hard into my cheek to keep from retorting, anyone else and I'd I've killed them for the smug grin and the demeaning stare, no matter how professional we were keeping it. I was what, just a few decades younger than him and I'd done in my first few years into my revival more than he had done it his whole existence. "Who says I want anything, neophyte?"

I was on my feet before my brain could process the remark. Through gritted teeth I let out a hiss, staring across the table at him. My heart thumped rapidly in my chest, a rush that felt a lot like adrenaline rushing over me. Victoria was watching, I noticed, with shock. Though, how could she not? She had been born in peace times and no one had to fight to survive in her times. Vampires rarely fell back on that base exhilaration, we fooled ourselves into believing we were gods and gods were above that. Still, I welcomed back the feeling.

Fighting against the Engulfing was a sneaky fear. Oskar stood, slowly, dark expression trained upon me. If I was smart, I noted then and there, I would've backed down. It wasn't clever to get yourself in a disagreement with Family. They didn't take too kindly to lowlings questioning their power. I knew that, hell I'd enforced punishment for that plenty of times. I was in a position where I could joke around with my Family. The same could not necessarily be said for the other, especially not with Oskar. Especially not in that scenario.

We were standing across from each other staring each other up in such an animalistic way. Victoria looked shocked at the sight. So used, I imagined, to the typical image of vampire elegance and serenity to see the monster instincts beneath the surface. Victoria never permitted herself to watch a vampire feed let alone see an all-out brawl. Kare for his part just watched in calm silence despite the fact Oskar clearly wanted to rip me limb from limb. Part of me noticed all this and recommended I apologise and ask for forgiveness. I'd already been engulfed.