Chapter 10

There was an almost sickly sweet floral smell wafting about as soon as I opened the door to Abbey's and I screwed up my nose a little, adjusting to the strong odour as I closed the door. It was a beautiful café, in prime location, and I had to wonder how Tanya had snagged the place up after fleeing her homing with only her children and the clothes on her back-so many witches refused to take out bank accounts and the incident in New Orleans just proved they weren't as good as looking after their money as they said.

Mia was sweeping across the room, earphones blasting what sounded like a musical soundtrack as she spun around the room. There was something very disnesque about it, and I almost had to laugh. I called out to her, but as expected, she couldn't hear over what was surely a deafening volume. Smiling slightly to myself at that I raced over to the far side of the café.

Mia spun, humming, to collect a pile of dust and nearly jumped out of her skin. The broom tumbled to the floor and as Mia stepped back her feet tangled almost tripping herself over. Tanya stuck her head out from the kitchen just as Mia spoke, "Goddamn it what the fu-"

"Mia!" For the second time in less than a minute the young witch's heartbeat leapt.

"What the freaking hell?" Mia glanced over her shoulder for a moment until her mother disappeared back into the kitchen. The coral-red tones of her skin were shining through the deep amber more than possible. Traces of saline and puffy eyes became so blatantly obvious once I'd noticed the faded blotchy red patches. "Gosh, you know that's why I hate vampires-why'd you guys always gotta sneak up on people?"

"Whatever," I slid into the booth, grimacing at the tiny tears in the faux leather. "You'd think after everything you've been through you'd be a little more alert. You either pay attention or you die..."

A soft choking noise interrupted my little speech and I mentally cursed myself. I could hear Tanya upstairs and I was thankful I at least didn't explain to a powerful witch why I had her daughter sobbing.

"I'm sorry..." Mia scrubbed at her eyes with the heel of her hand, spreading mascara stains as she did so.

"You shouldn't apologise for feeling things, that won't get you anywhere. Now, just-just sit would you?" She sat across from me, sniffling loudly and swallowing hard. It felt invasive that I had an upper hand that let me see through the façade she was trying to put up but with heightened sentences I could practically feel the utter devastation rolling off her. "What's wrong?"

"M-mum said you wanted me to look after Autumn for the weekend." After the first bit of stuttering and wavering Mia managed to keep her voice strong and calm. She was a child of war after all and whenever infighting ensured it resulted in a bunch of kids grown well before their time. Mia was no exception to that. The other group of kids that resulted from such events were just as likely. What side Autumn fell on wasn't clear.

"Yes, well, now that we've gotten that out of the way, speak your feelings and let it be." I pulled my phone from my pocket as soon as it vibrated-Erek no doubt. Nerves were bubbling in my gut as I waited for their arrival. What had Erek's text that night really meant, other than a pointless quote from a philosopher that had been commercialised and merchandised over and over? What was the point of faux-iconic quotes and names of religious sanctions?

The message was just another of the latter-St Clement Danes as if some church would be able to help. I had no hate for the church nor any other religious organisation but they catered to humans and even when I was human I was not the sheep but the wolf. Fed up with questions I was unable to answer I sat the phone on the table and tried to relax my limbs a little.

"Was that one of the elders?" Mia leant forward slightly, no longer crying but still visibly upset. Whatever the issue was direct pushing would be no help. As she spoke she chewed at her nails, the polish already chipped away on several layers. I'd no idea why nail bitters even bothered with polish. Then again I wasn't one to talk of waste living in such ungodly abundance.