Messenger Bird

The news that the former Governor of Fluie had passed away spread like a disease through the province, quickened by the maggot-ridden bodies lying in the streets; that is to say, the fact he had committed suicide. Some were relieved to have the burden of the man taken from off the shoulders of the province, some did not care, and others wondered still where his daughter, the current Governor, was. For Elliot Phorus had not been seen in the province for longer than the people were comfortable with or patient enough to put up with. Certainly, the history of her father followed Elliot, and her disappearance was the thing to remind the people of it. It was thus that the people began to doubt their governor and start to look to her substitute: a man by the name of Stephane Ludovich.

Stephane was not young, but with this came experience. Experience was not unfamiliar with both Elliot and Stephane, but his experience seemed to the people pronounced by his age. Stephane was retired and had previously been the late duke's and the duke's father's advisor. Before this, he had worked for Duchess Rousseau as a sort of upkeeper of the royal manor, tending to the rose bushes in the spring, then to the animals in the winter. He lowered and stowed away the Rousettean flag at night or in particularly bad weather with such care that one would guess he was holding a baby, and he raised the flag in the morning with such pride that one would guess he was watching his own child grow older.

Stephane Ludovich did not wish to replace Elliot, and, in fact, waited for her arrival patiently so he could resume his domestic duties to the Duchess. He did not know exactly of what had taken place in the Fluiean forest, but he did know the severity in which the Governor was injured and loyally kept his silence. Stephane also knew that their carriage had crashed and that the Chlealivian noble, Abraham Volleh, had gone missing. Abraham was suspected to be injured, but the last anyone had seen of him was right before the carriage had crashed. Maribelle had been with Elliot since they managed to get back from the crash site. Ruth and her mother, Jeanne, had gone to visit her father. Thus we are left with the news of Francis' death.

The asylum staff sent for his family with their messenger bird, painted an old, rusty navy blue and donning a faded cloth wrapped around both of its wings, stitched with the emblem of the asylum on the front and a red cross on the back. When the bird delivered its message, Ruth and Jeanne departed immediately, and the messenger bird accompanied them on their trip. Elliot was forced to stay behind and recover. Maribelle watched over the children with a mournful, tired air as Merlin aided a nurse in taking care of Elliot. Lydia entered Elliot's room. Lydia did not speak for a few moments, and she contemplated what to say first.

"I'm sorry, Governor," she quietly said. Her voice was humble.

"For what?" Elliot did not look at her.

"For not being able to protect you, Governor."

The Governor was reminded that, indeed, Lydia was not there after the crash. She spoke, "Where were you?"

She seemed to think about her response. "I was chasing away the tele, Governor. I did not realize you were so grievously injured."

Elliot finally raised her head. "I see you weren't hurt."

Lydia looked away. "No, Governor, I am alright."

"Do you have any idea where Abraham is? When did you see him last?" Elliot refrained from asking the question she knew she should.

"If I did know, I would tell you. I'm afraid I saw him last at, well, the carriage, of course."

The Governor did not speak again, nor did Lydia. She was still trying to remember what exactly happened in the forest, but all was still a whirlwind of noise and rain and blood. She remembered Maribelle carrying her away after chasing some creature off, but did not remember Lydia or Abraham there. Merlin must have gotten away and joined Maribelle after she had retrieved the Governor. She did not want to believe that Lydia's intentions were ill, but her convenient absences worried Elliot.