September 23, 1817

The history of Rousette and neighboring Chalin is complicated. In the island's earliest days, it was not, as it is now, Rousette and Chalin, but Sweden- Chalin- and Finland- Rousette. Then, Russia took control of Finland and so, too, Rousette. Russia-owned Rousette is the era in which Lydia was born. But, eventually, and lastly, the island in its entirety was captured by the French, from whom the countries get their current names. They gained their independence in 1802, on September 23. It was the day when Francis Phorus returned home to his wife. It would be another 15 years before they would take in Lydia- 15 years exactly. That fateful day- September 23, 1817. Elliot hadn't been born yet. Ruth was still a toddler. Elliot was born the next year on April 4. And Lydia hated her.

The way they cooed over her and cuddled into her made Lydia envious. She begrudged the affection Elliot was being shown. Lydia's parents had loved her- at least, her mother had-; that was true. But there was something about how her every waiting action was upon Elliot, how their attention swung to the child in a heartbeat. She had gotten attention before, negative or not. Now, Lydia was being ignored, completely cast to the side, except when someone asked her of something. It usually involved Elliot. She resented touching her. She had been tempted to rid herself of the burden countless times, and she would have. But she never did. Once, she had dangled Elliot over the well they had in the courtyard. But she didn't drop her. She never did. So what changed her mind? What held her back? I will not say it is because, deep down, she felt something for the child. She didn't. She hated Elliot. Then, what was it? Torvald, monster as he was, begged her not to kill the baby.

Torvald and Lydia had stayed in contact with one another, and he was the one holding back the volcano of wrath that had been Lydia. He promised her that a better opportunity would come to take her revenge. Lydia listened, and she was glad she listened. Because that opportunity did come. It came at the perfect moment. It came during the carriage crash in Fluie.

Jeanne had said that Maribelle had visited the asylum when Elliot was away, but that could not be. At that time, the crash had occurred, and Maribelle had been there with them. She had saved Elliot. But they were sure that the woman who had visited Francis gave her name specifically as Maribelle Volleh. Who, then, was it? Lydia? It was not Lydia. The perfect opportunity cane during the crash, but that does not mean she took it. Torvald, being like Lydia? No. It was neither of them.

Whoever had killed Francis did not matter. Either way, the Governor was dead, and, whether or not someone is willing to admit it, it is what he wanted.

How then, if Torvald has such influence in the court of Lydia's decisions, is the relationship between the two of them? We should start by clarifying that, of all living being, Torvald knows the most of her beginnings and of anything afterward. Lydia is the driving force. She is the one who sought to speak with him after what he had done, to keep in touch with him. Torvald wouldn't have if she had not, but that is not to say he did not value their relationship. He did, perhaps more than any one he had ever had. And what of Lydia's lover? Lydia had not after he went insane. Torvald had not, either. But he kept tabs on him; that is, he knew where he was. Torvald did not tell Lydia that he knew, but she knew he knew, anyway. Hearing it out loud brings a second, unnecessary wave of sting.

What Torvald really found a mystery was how Lydia managed to create a true, wholesome bond between them, if a little one-sided. He was not talking of the physical bond, but the emotional bond, which was, indeed, tragically, somewhat one-sided. He did not understand how it had happened, how she had become so attached to Elliot. Sure, Torvald had persuaded Lydia to spare the child, but that was for the simple act of saving a life. As far as Torvald could tell, their relationship was truly accidental. A case of being in the right place at the right time.

What was troubling Torvald, more than the mystery of the Governor's and Lydia's relationship, was the situation of destroying the artificial bond, the fatal bond. He has thought about it ever since Lydia left him. He had gone to great lengths to save her from Lydia; certainly, Torvald did not want Elliot to die. He had grown to love Lydia like a daughter; definitely, he did not want her to die. But just because he did not want either of them to die does not mean he would prevent either from happening. Torvald understood it was one or the other. He had supplied Lydia with the knowledge of one solution. It was up to her to decide what to do with it.