Roskaväki

The Governor's carriage had become somewhat of a familiar sight to the Chalinian people, and the fact that it was frequently seen passing the border between the two countries did not go unnoticed. It was also noticed that the carriage had not come to Chalin in months after leaving without the cart it had come in with. But it would come back, eventually, that much was sure. It was really only a matter of when they were ready.

After they had left Chalin, they went straight for Maribelle's manor in order to get help for Merlin, Maribelle, and the children. They entered Fluie, no one mentioned it, and then they entered Chlealiva. When they finally got there, the horses were near collapse. The cask of oil in the carriage was empty. Elliot reached out and opened the door. There was a gentle thump, and Lydia pulled the door the rest of the way back, smiling forcefully. "How was the trip, Governor?"

"Did I hit you?" Elliot stepped out.

"You did."

Merlin followed Elliot out, then Claudia and Louis. Lydia carried Maribelle more gently this time.

"Hm."

The Governor looked upon the paved entrance to the manor; it was wide, and a patch of grass and styled trees sat in the middle. To the side, there were bushes of flowers- roses, mostly; it was Chlealiva, after all- and nicely lined rows of fir trees, which Elliot had always found beautiful, especially in the winter. An echo of shrill laughter rang through the plot. It must have been Maribelle's children, or else the Governor's own nephew and niece playing together in the courtyard. They advanced toward the wide, tall doors. Elliot lifted the ring of the bear-shaped door knocker and let it fall. She suddenly became aware of her appearance. Her bloody shoulder and bandage, her ripped coat and cravat, her disheveled hair. She realized how much her mother and sister would fret over it. Elliot smiled. She lifted the ring and let it fall again.

There was a shuffling noise, and the door opened. Her mother, Jeanne, stood there. She carried a mournful air; she looked terribly tired. When she saw her daughter standing before her, however, it melted away, and a smile rose upon her face. Jeanne embraced Elliot, and Elliot embraced Jeanne. Her mother pulled back, rested her hands on her shoulders, and looked her over. Her smile only grew. She said, "My beautiful daughter, what did you get yourself into?"

"I'll tell you later, mother. Could you get the nurses?"

"Of course, of course!" Jeanne led them away toward the nurses' quarters with a last word of affection. Most of them were still asleep, but Jeanne hurriedly woke them. They realized the severity of the situation after they had pried themselves and each other from their beds and ordered Lydia to set Maribelle down on the bed immediately. Merlin set himself down on one of the beds. A maid took care of him. There wasn't much they could do, they said, but he would definitely survive, should they somehow evade an infection. Both Elliot and Lydia, whose collarbone had healed during the incident with the hunters, refused care.

"And who are these children?" Jeanne purred.

Elliot looked up at Lydia with a questioning look. "You'll have to ask her, mother."

"Lydia?"

She smiled. "I rescued them, Madame." 

The Governor and her mother shared the same skeptical expression.

"Well, I didn't rescue them; they rescued themselves. I left. They wanted to come with me; I let them come."

"What does that mean?" Elliot asked.

"Claudia and Louis are-" Lydia turned to her Governor. "Does she know what hunters are?"

"Of course she does!" She snapped.