Chapter 1

December 16

The cold air grazed my face as I walked down the ice-covered sidewalk. It was a beautiful day with the sun shining on the snow, making it glisten and sparkle. It was one of those rare days snow wasn't falling, given the fact this was Canada. The leafless tree branches covered in ice shimmered in the light of the sun. With each suburban house I passed, I neared school feeling ready for winter break. I clutched my backpack strap and kept walking. I was excited to finish the school day. It was Friday, and it also marked the start of winter break once school ended. Though, today was an early dismissal day so it shouldn't take long.

"Hey, wait up (y/n)!" I turned to see Evan running to me. I smiled at him and waited for him to catch up with me. He's been my friend since kindergarten. We have been going to the same school since kindergarten and have always lived on the same street. Now that we are in our junior year of highschool, we spent a lot of free time hanging out. He often walked with me to school in the morning, which I enjoyed. I didn't like walking without any company.

"Ready for winter break?" I asked when he came up to me.

"Yeah, I can't wait," he responded at be began to walk beside me. He adjusted his beanie and kept walking.

"I'm just glad today is the last day. I've been anticipating this day all week," I sighed and looked at the trees once more. There was a slight moment of silence as I stared lovingly at the snowy scenery.

"Think fast!" Evan chuckled. I broke from my trance and turned to give him a confused stare when he hit me in the arm with a snowball.

"Hey!" I bent down to make a snowball but he threw another one at my shoulder. I swiftly made a snowball and hit him in the face with it. He laughed and wiped the snow off his face before throwing another snowball.

"I surrender! You win!" I laughed and raised my hands to surrender, "But next time, I won't let you win so easily."

He laughed at my threat and kept walking. We could see the school just down the road at that point. We both prepared for the school day and walked in silence.

When we walked up to the doors, we said our goodbyes and parted. The students were having Christmas parties in their homerooms, and me and Evan were in separate homerooms. He ran off with his buddies and turned to wave goodbye as he disappeared down the hallway.

"Hey (y/n), you walk here with Evan again?" a voice from behind startled me. I turned to see a familiar face. It was Sydney, my friend since third grade. She was basically my only friend apart from Evan. She had her long brown hair in a ponytail and walked with a spring in her step. She was always so cheerful.

"I always do," I replied as we began to walk towards homeroom.

"I think Evan has a crush," she smiled.

"On me?" I questioned, though I knew who she was talking about. Sydney always did this. She wholeheartedly believed me and Evan were the perfect couple.

"Of course," she rolled her eyes.

"Look, even if I did have feelings for him, I'm pretty sure he doesn't feel the same," you retorted.

"How can you say that when you walk to school together every day?"

"It's just a force of habit now, that's all."

"That's a lame excuse, (y/n)."

"Can we talk about this later?"

"Whatever," she hummed thoughtfully and smiled to herself.

I walked in to homeroom to see that Mrs. Colin had decorated the whole room for the Christmas party. Mrs. Colin was a sweet lady in her late forties. She loved school and teaching and always called her students Special Snowflakes. She was easy to talk to and really sarcastic as well. She came into school with a large smile and always dressed nicely.