Chapter 5

December 20

Reader's POV

I found myself constantly texting Evan the next day. We would talk about many things, including what happened last night. He told me he felt mystified while we kissed. I told him I was surprised, and then I was excited. I figured he would ask me out on another date, or maybe even ask me to date him but he spoke nothing of that. I was a little disappointed, but I figured he was waiting for his Christmas Eve party.

I was in the middle of replying to Evan when I received a call from Sydney.

"Hey," I said, excited to talk to her.

"Hi. How has your break been so far?" she inquired.

"I need to tell you about it-"

"Good. How about you tell me while we go shopping at the mall?" she cut me off. I would've been mad at her, but a trip to the mall sounded like fun.

"Okay, will I meet you there?" I asked.

"I can come over and get you," she answered.

"Okay, I'll see you soon," I excitedly replied.

"Be ready in ten minutes," she said before hanging up the phone. I stood up from my bed and decided I should change. I changed into a long sleeve (favorite color) shirt and some skinny jeans. I slipped on some black sneakers and put my winter coat on. When I heard Sydney honk her horn, I ran outside and went into the passenger seat.

"Okay, tell me everything that happened," she wiggled with anticipation in her seat as she drove down the street.

"I went on a date... With Evan," I muttered.

"And you didn't tell me?! How was it?" she asked excitedly.

"...We kissed," I responded.

"What?! So, are you two dating now?"

"He never asked, so I assumed he's waiting until the party."

Sydney nodded thoughtfully and drove in silence after that. Then, she reached over and turned the radio on. She didn't speak another word until she parked the car and got out. I followed her and got out of the car, carrying my wallet and my phone. I quickly put my wallet in my coat pocket and walked alongside Sydney into the mall.

"So, you're going to the party Christmas Eve, correct?" Sydney inquired.

"I was planning on it," I told her. She nodded and took my hand, proceeding to walk towards a fancy dress store.

"The invitation did say it was a formal party, didn't it?" she smiled mischievously.

"I think so?" I nervously replied, not willing to wear a fancy dress. I like them, but if I can avoid wearing them I will.

"Oh, come on. I know how you feel about dresses but you need to make an impression on Evan," she stated as she started looking around at the dresses.

"Fine," I huffed, knowing I would never be able to change her mind. I watched as she switched from rack to rack, rummaging around to find the perfect dress.

"Hmm," she mumbled and hummed to herself as she searched. I watched her walk around and look for a while until she pulled a dress off of the rack.

The dress was long and royal blue. It had no sleeves and had an intricate gem design along the top half and followed the straps to the back. There was a diamond-shaped hole on the back of the dress. Sydney squealed happily as she held it up.

"It's perfect," she handed it to me, "Go try it on!"

I walked over to the dressing room in a huff to try it on. I nervously walked out when I had it on, and Sydney stared at me dumbfounded.

"It's beautiful..." she sighed.

"Really?" I asked shyly.

"Mhm. Now, take it off and I'll pay for it," she lightly pushed me back to the dressing room area.

"No, I'll pay for the dress," I replied.

"Seriously, consider it a Christmas present," she smiled. I nodded and smiled back to thank her and went back in the dressing room to take it off.

"Thank you Sydney," I said as I set the dress on the counter. The cashier behind the counter told us the total and Sydney gave the last the money. The lady gingerly put the dress in a bag and handed it to us. I took it and followed Sydney out of the store.

"Now, do you have a pair of shoes to go with that dress?" Sydney asked.

"No, but I'm paying for them this time," I quickly remarked as I followed her to the shoe store.

I bought a pair of silver height heels. They were simple but pretty. Then, she suggested I get jewelry to match. I thought she was pushing it, but I bought a pair of dangly clear crystal earrings and a matching bracelet. We stopped to grab some food at the cafeteria, and after that Sydney took me home.

I walked upstairs into my bedroom and laid my dress on my dresser, along with the earrings and bracelet. I was secretly excited to put them on and go to Evan's party.

"Four days," I whispered as I went to take a shower. When I had finished, I went back into my room and checked the time. It was past ten o'clock, so I flopped onto my bed and fell asleep.