Chapter 6

December 24

Christmas Eve slowly but surely came around. It was noon when I started getting ready, first taking a shower. I then dried my hair and made an attempt to style it. And, as if Sydney knew what was going on, she came over and helped me do my hair, makeup, and even my nails. The nails were an extra touch that I didn't feel was necessary, but I couldn't do or say anything to shake Sydney.

I stood there in front of my door, ready for the party. I nervously stared out at all of the snow covering the ground. The sun was setting, almost to the point where it had completely disappeared behind the horizon. The snow was a shade of orange and pink, and it sparked in the little sunlight that remained.

"You okay?" Sydney shook me from my mystified stare out of the window.

"I'm just a little nervous," I glanced back at her and back out at the snow. I heard footsteps come closer and then felt a hand touch my coat.

"It's going to be alright (y/n)," she whispered calmly. I let out a sigh, attempting to take her word for it.

"If you say so," I muttered. She chuckled and rolled her eyes as she opened the door for me. I walked out into the bitter cold. Sydney and I started down to Evan's house together.

Sydney didn't chose a dress as eye-catching as mine, but hers was beautiful anyway. It was a simple short black dress that flowed out at the bottom and the top half was lace, and the long sleeves were lace as well. Her makeup consisted of a silver smokey eye and nude lips. The only accessory she wore was a pair of crystal earnings.

My makeup, which had been done with assistance from Sydney, was a black smokey eye and dark red lips. Sydney picked it and didn't bother to tell me how bold my makeup would be, but by the time I saw it I couldn't redo it.

We made our way onto Evan's front porch, seeing people socializing in the windows. I walked in first, and Sydney came in right behind me. I took my coat off and hung it on a nearby rack that other's had placed their coats on. I went into the living room, which was where everyone was.

I saw Craig, David, Tyler, Marcel, Scott, Brock, Jonathan, and a couple girls that had came with them. They were all dressed nicely and looked like they were enjoying themselves. There wasn't too many people there, which was a relief. If this party was a school-wide party, I probably would've ditched.

"Where's Evan?" I asked Brock, who was sitting on the couch closest to me. He glanced up and his eyes grew wide when he saw how dressed up I was.

"Wow, you look great. Even went into the kitchen to get a drink," he pointed to the kitchen, assuming I had never been here before and that I didn't know where it was. I nodded and thanked him as I walked towards the kitchen. I excitedly turned the corner and went in, but stopped dead in my tracks at the scene in front of me.

There was Evan, furiously making out with a girl that had short brown hair. I felt pain in my chest and I raised my hand to hold my aching chest. When Evan finally came up for air, he looked over and saw me. His eyes widened when he saw me, and I began to tear up.

"I know it looks bad, but let me explain-"

"No need. I can see I meant nothing to you," I cut him off and ran out of the back door, forgetting my coat and Sydney. I began to cry as I ran home, hearing Evan chasing me. I began to stumble in my heels and I fell down, but I stood up and continued to run. The cold bit my face and my tears obscured my vision, but I ran as fast as I could. When I came up to my house, I slammed the door shut and locked it.

Evan began to pound on the door, desperately calling for me to let him in. I hid under the door's window, crouched down in a ball crying pitifully.

"You have to listen to me," he yelled as he vigorously shook the doorknob, "She was a childhood friend that I invited and she forced me into the kiss! I didn't want to! Please, believe me!"

"G-go away!" I yelled shakily as I cried.

"No, I won't. You have to believe me! I'm sorry! I only care about you!" he desperately called out. I didn't respond, and eventually he quit trying to open the door. I could hear muffled crying as he walked away.