Chapter Six

Draco must have sensed something was off though, as he suggested they call it a night earlier than they normally would have, claiming he still had some things to pack before the morning. Having seen his highly organised room, Harry seriously doubted that, but he went along with the fib, grateful that it appeared Draco was being considerate for him.

By the time they reached the common room the tension was almost getting awkward between them, but Harry was so wrapped up in his thoughts he couldn't think what to say to break it. Some of the Eighth Years were still milling about, but most of them had already turned in ahead of the day before them. Nobody paid Harry and Draco any mind as they made their way into the corridor where both their rooms were situated.

"Um, well," said Draco as they reached his door. "Goodnight then?"

"Hang on," Harry blurted, going to grab his arm, then thinking better of it. "I, uh, well, I have – it's not exactly a present, but, it's something for you?"

His cheeks felt hot, and he wished he didn't sound like such an idiot, but Draco's grey eyes just went wide and he gave a tentative smile. "Okay then," he said, and to Harry's surprise, he did reach out, and touch his elbow. It was only brief, but it made Harry wish he hadn't withdrawn his own hand before.

"Uh, sure," he said, nodding and leading the way into his own room several doors down.

As the door shut behind them, Harry became acutely aware of how alone they were. Despite all the time they had been spending together recently, he was still feeling fractious at the fact it was just the two of them, with nobody else around at all. Anything could happen, he thought. To which his brain immediately and indignantly spluttered, like what!? But he found he didn't have an answer.

Instead, he felt Draco's eyes on him as he dropped his skates at the end of his bed and went to his bedside drawer to pull it open, quickly retrieving the pair of mirrors that he had stashed there.

"My godfather gave me these," he said thickly, unexpectedly emotional all of a sudden. "Before he died."

As buoyant and jovial the past term had been, it wasn't all that easy to forget the atmosphere had been achieved through sheer force of will. People were spreading cheer and goodwill, because there was so much grief underlying everything they did. Harry had lost so many people in his life, and Sirius was just one in the long list of loved ones he missed every single day.

The mirrors were one of the only things he still had left from Sirius, one of the only gifts he had been able to give him, not that he had been able to use them in time of course. They were precious. What was he thinking, offering one to Draco Malfoy? Draco's father had been one of the ones attacking them at the Ministry when Sirius had fallen through the veil. How much did he really know about him? This was foolish, he should just-

He hadn't realised two, single teardrops had made their way down to his chin, until Draco's hands reached out, and cupped Harry's own. "Are you okay?" he asked, snapping him out of his abrupt funk. His voice so transformed from the boy that had tormented him for years. It was raw with concern, and Harry felt himself lean just a fraction closer to him.

"Yes," he whispered. Draco was his friend now, and he knew enough to understand he'd come to care deeply for him, as complicated as that was. He didn't want to be separated from him, not for even a day.

He held the mirrors in one hand, then used the back of the other to wipe his face under his glasses.

"Sorry," he chuckled, feeling sheepish, then cleared his throat. "These belonged to my godfather, he gave them to me so we could stay in touch. I – I thought maybe, if you wanted? You could take one? And that way, we could still talk every day?"

Draco didn't say anything. Harry just watched as he slowly brought his hands up, wrapping his long, pale fingers tentatively around the frame of the mirror Harry was holding out, and gently taking it in his own grasp. He just stared at its reflection, his eyes glassy, and his jaw tight. Harry was starting to worry he had made a mistake.

"We don't have to," he said nervously, a slight tremble to his voice. "I just thought it might be nice, after all the time we've spent toge-"

Whumph!

Harry hardly had a chance to register that Draco's lips had suddenly crashed into his, before he jerked away again, absolute horror pulling his face taut. "Wha-" Harry managed in utter confusion, but Draco was already stepping backwards, the mirror clutched to his chest as he shook his head frantically.

"Sorry!" he spluttered. "Sorry! I – I'm so sorry, please don't, please-!"

He fumbled for the door handle and staggered out into the corridor, finally propelling Harry into action. "Hang on, wait!" he called, reaching out with his free hand, but Draco had already run off, back in the direction of his own room.

Harry brought his hand back in, placing his fingers lightly onto his lips. Draco had kissed him. Draco had kissed him.

And it had felt perfect.

Suddenly, a lot about the past few weeks, and indeed, the past several years, made a whole lot more sense.

Harry was attracted to Draco. And it appeared the feeling was mutual. Wow. Who would have guessed?