Chapter Nine

He glanced down to admire Draco's lean torso, then froze at what he saw, the heat from his veins turning cold as ice.

"What?" Draco asked, concerned.

Harry didn't know what to say though, so he took a shaking hand, and lowered it to run against the top of the pink, raised scar that interested Draco's pale chest.

He tensed immediately.

"I did this," Harry rasped, knowing it to be true. "I hurt you."

Draco's hand closed over his own, and tugged it down and away. "Only because I was trying to hurt you first," he said firmly. "I remember, you had no idea what the spell did, you weren't trying to kill me."

Harry managed to tear his eyes away from the sight, and as he raised them to address Draco he realised they were filled with tears. "But I almost killed you," he argued.

Draco though just pursed his lips, and rolled over so they were side by side again. "Harry," he said with determination. "That one doesn't bother me, it really doesn't. It's something that just happened between us. It was bad, but, I guess, now we get a chance to make new memories around it, don't we?"

He took Harry's hand and placed it on the part of the scar that ran over his heart. Harry could feel how hard and fast it was thumping, how hot Draco's skin was compared to before. "I suppose," he said, but he still felt horribly guilty. He had mutilated the boy he thought he was falling in love with. "How can you possibly forgive me?"

Draco leant over, and kissed him softly. "I already have," he said seriously. "Besides, this is the thing I hate the most." He raised his left arm, and brandished the faded dark mark that still blemished his skin. "I did this to myself," he said sadly.

Harry shifted onto his side so he could reach over and cradle the arm himself and study the tattoo. He knew enough now Draco had never really wanted to join the Death Eaters, not after he saw what they truly were, but he'd been left with little choice. His and his parents' lives had been under threat, and he'd done what he thought was best to save them all. "Did it hurt?" he asked, tracing his fingers over the ink.

"It was excruciating," Draco murmured, and Harry wrapped him in his arms. "And now I'm stuck with it forever," he stammered into Harry's neck. "It's all anyone will ever see."

"It's not all I see," Harry assured him. "Draco you're so much more than that, and you have your whole life ahead of you to prove that." He added silently to himself that he quite liked the idea of being there with him for that, but he wasn't stupid enough to say anything so bold out loud. It was early days for them yet, the very beginning even, but still. He could visualise it.

"Thank you," Draco said, rubbing his thumb against Harry's clavicle.

Harry was content to lie and cuddle for a little while, his hands roaming over Draco's back and sides. "Have you ever thought about getting it covered up?"

He felt Draco frown and then look up at him. "What do you mean?"

He shrugged. "Well, I know wizards think tattoos are something only criminals have, but Muggles think they're pretty cool, the younger ones at least. You could get someone to design something over it?"

Draco physically flinched and shook his head. "No, I'm not going through that again, no way-"

"Hey, hey," Harry cried, calming him and drawing him back into their embrace. "Muggle ones don't hurt like that, I promise. I talked a lot with Ron's brother Charlie about it, he's got loads." He bit his lip, and decided to admit something he'd not told anyone yet. "Actually, I was thinking of getting something done myself."

Draco frowned and looked at him with serious consideration. "You'd want one?" he asked.

Harry shrugged. "No idea what yet, but maybe something to remember my parents by, and the other people I've lost. Nothing macabre," he added hastily. "Something beautiful, so I can think of them and maybe focus on the good times, the happy memories."

Draco frowned. "I could get something like that, I guess," he said, half a smile twitching at the corner of his well kissed lips.

"We could maybe go together," Harry suggested, then his insides ran cold with horror. "I mean, we could talk about it, and I don't mean matching ones or anything, that would be weird, and clingy, and did I mention weird?"

Draco though was laughing, properly laughing. "You are such a numpty," he chuckled, rolling back on top of him and kissing him sweetly and tenderly. "But...I like that idea. It's something we could maybe talk about?"

Harry nodded with relief and blossominghappiness. It made him feel like theywere making cautious plans for the future, and that warmed his heart. "I'd like that," he promised.