Chapter Seven

Well, he wasn't going to progress forwards from this revelation by just standing there like an idiot, he realised. His feet finally woke up, and once he had dropped the mirror on his bed he shot out of his room, shutting the door behind him and marching down to Draco's room. He stood facing the closed door for a second, his pulse racing, before he lifted his hand and wrapped his knuckles firmly on the wood.

"Draco?" he said, not too loudly in case he woke any of the other students, as that would be rude, but also the last thing he wanted was to be interrupted. "Draco, it's me. Please can I come in?"

There was a pause, and Harry held his breath. "Go away," hissed through the door.

Harry's heart sank, but he wasn't about to give up. He had finally unravelled a multitude of conundrums that had been bothering him, and he needed Draco to know he was freaking out over nothing.

"Not going to happen," he gritted out. "Now, are you going to let me in, or am I going to have to force my way through?"

Again, he waited. Except this time, the door clicked, and swung open just an inch or so. Harry grinned.

Cautiously, he crept into the dark room, lit only by the moonlight shining through the window whose curtains had not been drawn. He closed the door behind him, then leant against it, his palms flat against the wood as he took in Draco standing several feet away, hugging himself and staring determinedly at the floor. The mirror had been placed on the chest of drawers.

"Hi," Harry said quietly.

Draco took a shaky breath, and screwed his eyes shut. Harry was reminded of his first time on the ice, when he'd been too scared to look. "Go on then," he said, his voice flat.

Harry paused to lick his lips. "Go on, what?" he asked genuinely.

Draco's shook his head, and Harry could make out the glistening tear tracks on his cheeks. "Tell me how disgusted you are. Shout at me, let the whole school know I'm a sick pervert."

Harry's eyebrows shot up. "Are you serious?" he rasped. "You think being gay makes you a pervert?"

"No," he spat scornfully. "Of course not, don't be such a Muggle." Harry flinched at the insult, but decided now was not the time to hash out old prejudices. Hermione said he would go for the low blow when he was feeling at his most vulnerable. They could deal with that later. "But..." he carried on, his words thick as more tears flowed from his screwed up eyes. "Being in love with the guy whose life you've made hell, who is a million times too good for you. That...that's pretty fucked up."

Love. That was an enormous word right there. Harry wasn't sure what he was feeling, but...maybe...yeah, maybe it could be that one day?

"How long?" he said, still not moving from his spot by the door.

Draco sniffed, and took a moment to scrub at his face. "I don't know," he croaked. "Probably forever. I guess, maybe I figured it out a couple of years ago? It only made things worse." He took a deep, wet breath, and finally opened his eyes. But not to look at Harry. Instead, he picked up the mirror, and held it out to him, eyes trained once again on the floor. "You can have this back. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to take it."

Slowly, Harry pushed himself off of the door and walked towards him, taking his time so as not to spook him. As he reached him, he carefully wrapped his fingers around the frame, much the same way Draco had done back in his room, but rather than take it, he gently pushed it against Draco's chest. The movement caused him to finally look up at Harry.

"I don't want it back," he told him.

"But," said Draco, his brow creasing. "Why..."

"I told you," Harry said, keeping one hand connected with Draco's as they held the mirror. The other, he brushed his fringe away where it had fallen into his eyes. His blond hair was so soft, Harry couldn't help but stroke his fingertips against it a little, before cupping the side of Draco's jaw. "I don't want to be apart. I want to be able to talk to you all the time, every day. Like we do now."

Draco merely stared, dumbfounded at him for a good minute or so. "I don't understand," he said eventually, his voice cracking pitifully.

"I like you Draco," Harry said, holding his gaze even though his insides were writhing with nerves. "I know it's complicated, after everything we've been through, very complicated. But, if you strip all that away...I like you. A lot."

Once more, Draco just looked at him, scrutinising him and his words, until he could form a response himself. "So," he uttered. "You're not angry I kissed you?"

Without speaking, Harry prised the mirror away from Draco's grasp, and placed it carefully back on the drawers. Now there was nothing between them, he stepped closer, curling the hand at his jaw around the back of his head, and planting the other one on his hip under his coat. "No," he said softly. "I'm not. But it was very fast. I'd really like to try again?"

Draco swallowed, trembling, but he didn'tdrop Harry's gaze. "Okay," he whisperedwith a nod.