Chapter 13: Memories

Aerlinniel POV

"I am sorry." The man apologises to us then whistles, "Hasufel. Arod. May these horses near you to better fortune than their former masters. Farewell. Look for your friends. But do not trust to hope. It has forsaken these lands. We ride north!" They all take off.

"Ride with me?" Legolas asks.

"Sure." I reply, hoping he is talking to me, and hold my hand out.

Legolas grabs it and helps me up on to the horse, I am sitting behind him.

We start riding towards where the man told us they had killed the orcs.

"Are you alright?" Legolas asks me.

"I don't think so." I tell him honestly. "I can't lose anyone else, they have to be alive."

We dismount our horses when we get there. I hear them start to search through the pile when I hear Gimli say, "It's one of their wee belts."

I drop to the ground, letting the tears fall this time. I was not able to keep my promise, I didn't protect them.

I hear Legolas say a prayer for them, "Hiro hyn hîdh ab 'wanath. (May they find peace after death)"

I then hear Aragorn kick something and then yell out of anger.

"We failed them." Gimli says sadly.

"A Hobbit lay here. And the other. They crawled." Aragorn observes. "Their hands were bound. Their bonds were cut. They ran over here.  They were followed. Tracks lead away from the battle into Fangorn Forrest." We all stop in front of Fangorn. They are alive.

"Fangorn? What madness drove them in there?" Gimli asks.

We enter Fangorn and I stop for a moment. So many memories hit me at once. Growing up in the Hidden Kingdom, the dragon attack, spending so many years alone, and so much more.

"Everything alright?" I hear Legolas question.

"It's just so memories hitting at once. Good and bad ones. But mainly bad ones." I answer him.

"Here." He says and links his arm with mine. "I will walk with you."

"Thank you Legolas." I thank him and give him a small smile.

"Orc blood." I hear Gimli mention.

"These are strange tracks." Aragorn states.

"The air is so close in here." Gimli says.

"This forest is old. Very old. Full of memory and anger." Legolas tells us. The trees make a groaning noise and Legolas adds, "The trees are speaking to each other."

"Gimli!" Aragorn whisper shouts to him, "Lower your axe."

"They have feelings, my friend. The elves began it. Waking up the trees, teaching them to speak." Legolas explains to him.

"Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about? Except the consistency of squirrel droppings." Gimli questions.

"Aragorn, nad no ennas! (Something's out there)" Legolas warns.

"Man cenich? (What do you see)" Aragorn asks Legolas.

"The White Wizard approaches." Legolas answers.

"Do not let him speak. He will put a spell on us. We must be quick." Aragorn informs us.

I listen for the White Wizards heartbeat. When I hear it, there is something familiar about it. Then it hits me.

"Wait!" I shout, but I'm too late.

I hear the sound of weapons breaking.

"You are tracking the footsteps of two young Hobbits." The Wizard states.

"Where are they?" Aragorn asks him.

"They passed this way the day before yesterday. They met someone they did not expect. Does that comfort you?" He questions.

"Who are you? Show yourself!" Aragorn demands.

I can't wait any longer, I run up to the Wizard and wrap my arms around him, tears of joy streaming down my face.

"Aerlinniel!" I hear Legolas shout, "What are you doing?"

I turn so I'm facing his direction and tell him, "It's Gandalf. He's alive."

~~~~~~

Yay! Gandalf is alive! Also, I hope you don't mind that I took a short break for Christmas, but I'm back now! :) If you celebrate Christmas: How was your Christmas and what presents did you get? Updates are every Sunday and Thursday!

Love you my elves from the realm of llamas,

~Ellethwen <3