Chapter 16: The Wolves Of Isengard

Aerlinniel POV

We are now on our way to Helm's Deep. I am riding next to Aragorn, Legolas would be riding with me but he is in front because he is a lookout. Gimli is in front of us and his horse is being lead by Éowyn. 

"It's true, you don't see many Dwarf women," Gimli tells Éowyn. "And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance that they are often mistaken for Dwarf men."

"It's the beards." I hear Aragorn whisper.

"Shh." Éowyn quiets him.

"This, in turn, has given rise to the belief that there are no Dwarf woman and that Dwarves just spring out of holes in the ground which is, of course ridiculous." Gimli continues, and Éowyn starts to laugh. I hear Gimli grunt and then hear a thud. "It's all right. Nobody panic. That was deliberate. It was deliberate."

"I haven't seen my niece smile for a long time. She was a girl when they brought her father back dead. Cut down by Orcs. She watched her mother succumb to grief. Then she was left alone, to tent her King in growing fear. Doomed to wait upon an old man who should have loved her as a father." King Thèoden explains to Aragorn and I. 

After a while, we stop to rest and Éowyn has made soup for everyone to eat. She goes up to Gimli. "Gimli?"

"No, I couldn't. I really couldn't," He refuses.

She then walks up to Aragorn and I. "I made some stew. It isn't much, but it's hot."

"Thank you," Aragorn says. "It's good." He manages to say, but I can tell he does not like it.

"Really?" Éowyn questions, not realising he does not like it.

She walks away and I hear Aragorn start to dump out the soup. Éowyn then turns back around and mentions, "My uncle told me a strange thing. He said that you rode to war with Thengel, my grandfather. But he must be mistaken. "

"King Thèoden has a good memory. He was only a small child at the time." Aragorn states.

"Then you must be at least 60." She pauses then continues, "Seventy? But you cannot be 80!"

"Eighty-seven," Aragorn tells her.

"You are one of the Dúnedain. A descendant of Númenor, blessed with long life. It was said that your race had passed into legend." Éowyn says, shocked.

"There are few of us left. The Northern Kingdom was destroyed long ago." Aragorn explains.

"I'm sorry. Please, eat." Éowyn apologises.

~the next day~

We are continuing our journey to Helms Deep. I am walking, holding onto the reigns of my horse. It has been silent for a while, but I do not mind. It helps to relax me. I just wish I was walking up with Legolas. Maybe I should join him. I am pulled out of my thoughts when Éowyn speaks.

"Where is she?" I am confused what she means until she says, "The woman who gave you that jewel."

Aragorn is silent for a while but doesn't answer her.

"My lord?" Éowyn questions.

"She is sailing to the Undying Lands with all that is left of her kin," Aragorn tells her.

Arwen is leaving to the Undying Lands? I wonder why I was not told this.

All of the sudden, I hear yelling coming from not too far ahead.

Aragorn runs ahead and King Theoden asks, "What is it? What do you see?"

"Warg!" Aragorn shouts, "We're under attack!"

I immediately get on my horse and gallop to where the wargs are. Legolas jumps up onto the horse with me. I hold on to him with one arm and use the other to grab my sword. I start slashing it at every orc and warg that comes near us.One attacks from the other side and I fall off the horse.

"Aerlinniel!" I hear Legolas shout my name.

An orc comes at me and I put my sword through its chest. I kill a few more orcs and the battle has calmed down more. 

"Aragorn?" I hear Legolas call out.

I listen for his heartbeat, but I cannot hear it. No, he can't be dead. But, why can I not hear his heartbeat? I go over to Legolas and I then hear an orc laughing. I follow Legolas and Gimli over to him.

"Tell me what happened and I will ease your passing." Gimli offers to the orc.

"He's dead. He took a little tumble off the cliff." The orc tells us.

"You lie," Legolas says, angrily.

The orc laughs again before it dies.

Legolas walks toward, what I am guessing is the cliff. Maybe Aragorn survived the fall. It is very doubtful, but I refuse to believe that he is dead. I stand next to Legolas, this time I am the one to link my arm with his.

"Get the wounded on horses." King Theoden commands. "The wolves of Isengard will return. Leave the dead. Come."

Legolas starts to walk off, but I don't follow him. I don't know how much more I can take of this, it is beginning to get to be too much for me. Legolas walks back over to me and puts his hand on my shoulder.

"Aerlinniel, we have to get going. There is nothing we can do." He tells me, sadly.

I start to walk away from him.

"No, I refuse to believe he is dead. I am going to go look for him." I decide.

Legolas grabs my arm, stopping me from going any farther.

"Aerlinniel--" He starts to say but I interrupt him.

"Stop, Legolas!" I tell him, removing his hand from my arm. "I am going to find him."

This time he grabs both of my arms and sits me down gently on a rock.

"No! You could be killed. I cannot...I will not lose you. Not again." He tells me, his hands moving down my arm to hold my hands.

"Aerlinniel, please." Legolas begs, "Look at me." 

 "No." 

 "Please." He says again. 

 "No, I cannot Legolas! I just cannot!" I tell him, getting frustrated and removing my hands from his grasp. He just doesn't understand.

"Why?" He questions. 

 "Because, Legolas..." I say hesitantly as a tear slips down my cheek. I take a deep breath and make a decision, "...I am blind."

~~~~~~

DUN DUN DUUUUNNNN!!!!! She finally told Legolas she was blind! This is the last chapter for this book, so how do you think Legolas will react in the next book? The next book in this series will be up Sunday!

Love you my elves from the realm of llamas,

~Ellethwen <3