flattery | 3

"The singer is actually my brother," Jane tells Alison, her new found friend.

"That's interesting," she says as she bites her lower lip.

Jane feels awkward and maybe even shy so her eyes quickly landed on the trash behind the taller woman. "Yeah, uh, we should head out. My friend is probably waiting."

It's a good time too. The band is having a break and it won't be too hard to hear everything.

Alison just nods and leads the way out, her hips sways as she exits.

She has gathered enough information to know that she's in college and she's trying to make it as her own as an artist. She's glad to form a bond with Alison as they have lots in common as an artist.

Also, she's a nervous wreck around her.

This is unusual for Jane Lane so she plans to ask Daria for advice. Who better than to ask for an advice of a good friend? Her cynical, introverted, and extremely intelligent friend that is mistaken for having a low esteem. She's mostly indifferent to what others think of her.

Her biting sarcasm often goes over the heads of her classmates, being that some are not very bright.

"And I am back," she informs Daria who is actually having a decent conversation with Tom.

It's his job to flatter costumers.

"Hey," her friend answers back and her eyes shifts behind Jane's shoulder.

"Right. This is Alison," Jane introduces as she steps aside, revealing the taller woman.

Alison gives a simple wave and a breathtaking smile. At least to Jane.

"And this is my friend, Daria," she turns to her and pats her shoulder.

"Hey," Daria greets her then she pushes her glasses up with a finger. "Where'd you guys meet?"

"The bathroom," Alison answers for the both of them. "And that's a great shirt by the way."

"Thanks. It's literally plain black," Daria says without looking at her shirt.

"Simplicity at its finest, what can I say?" She gives her another dashing smile and Jane doesn't know how to feel about that. Maybe she should just stop smiling all together.

She clears her throat and gains both of their attention. "She's an artist," Jane speaks up and Daria raises a curious brow.

"That's great. Good for you guys," Daria says before turning back to relive her conversation with Tom.

"Wow, she's warming up to you already," Jane turns to Alison and she sees that she is already looking at her. "Just one sarcastic remark in a sentence. Lucky you."

She just can't seem to take her eyes off too and she doesn't know if she likes that.