fan girl | 4

"Oh look, it's Alison outside and waiting," Daria stops in front of Jane all of a sudden, causing them to bump into each other. "And it's been a week."

Jane decided she would keep it until she's ready. She didn't find girls attractive until now so she'll wait until her feelings wear off so she doesn't have to expose herself to Daria. It sounds like an effective plan, at least for now.

"So what?"

"I see what's going on in here," Daria says as slowly as possible.

"No, you don't," Jane cuts her immediately and starts to walk towards Alison who's leaning on a pole.

Daria shakes her head and trails behind. "You found a new best friend," she mutters.

Jane sighs in great relief but also not. Being cynical plays a big part of Daria's life. "No, she isn't. You're still my number one fan girl."

"Don't say that," Daria scrunches up her nose and gives a little distance between them.

"Okay," Jane drags on. "My favourite fan girl."

"I'm going home," her best friend informs and gives Alison a nod of acknowledgment before walking away.

"So, she seems upset," Alison points out.

"Yeah, not really. She's just denying her love for me," Jane replies and starts leading the way, hoping Alison would follow.

"How was school?" The taller woman asks.

Jane doesn't say much, she doesn't want to seem like a blabber mouth but she says enough things for her to know.

What a typical high school girl thing to do; Jane thinks.

She didn't have to do this with anyone, she knows she just needed to be herself. She's very flexible, very likeable. She once joined the track team and the chearleading squad. Who'd a thunk it? Not her.

"If you're not busy, maybe we can head back in my place and I can show you some of my work?" Alison proposes.

This is great for Jane.