Chapter 258.

Songs for this chapter are:

 You and I- (look up the slowed down version that added rain in the background on tumblr, its perfection)

Happily- (edited acoustic version) I'm digging all of these edited songs! lol. They are so good.

In my veins- Andrew Belle

Tessa's POV.

"I apologize again for bringing that up at the table, I was completely out of line," Ken places his napkin back on his lap.

"It's okay, really. I really appreciate your offer," I force a smile. I do appreciate it but it's too much to accept.

"We will talk about it later," Hardin hums into my ear. I'm relieved that neither Hardin or Ken came back into the dining room with bloody noses or black eyes.

I nod and Karen stands to clear the table. I have barely touched my food, the mention of my father's.. problem, took my appetite.

"Eat some desert at least," Hardin pulls my chair closer to his. I'm cramping again, the ibuprofen has worn off and my headache and cramps have returned with a vengeance.

"I'll try," I agree. Karen brings tray stacked with mounds of her maple flavored treats to the table and I reach for a cupcake. Hardin grabs for the a square, eyeing the perfectly iced flowers on top.

"I did that one," I lie.

He smiles at me, shaking his head.

"I wish we didn't have to leave," I tell him when he glances at the clock. I try not to think about the watch he gave away to compensate for the money that my father owed. Is rehab really the best thing for my father? Would he even accept the offer?

"You are the one who packed up and moved to Seattle," he grumbles.

"I meant here, tonight." I clarify, hoping he will catch on.

"Oh no.. I'm not staying here."

"I want to," I pout.

"Tessa, we are going home.. to my apartment where your dad is,"

I frown, that's exactly why I don't want to go there. I need some time to think and breathe, and this house seems to be perfect for that, even with Ken's mention of rehab at the dinner table, I love this house and that apartment has been torturing me since I arrived yesterday.

"Okay," I pick at the corner of my cake and Hardin sighs.

"Fine, we will stay." He sighs in defeat. I knew he would.

The remainder of the time at the table isn't as awkward as the first half. Landon is quiet, too quiet, and I fully intend to ask him what's wrong after I finish helping Karen clean the kitchen.

"I've missed having you around here," Karen closes the dishwasher and turns to me, wiping her hands on a towel.

"I have missed being here, so much." I lean back against the counter.

"I'm glad to hear it. You've become like a daughter to me, I want you to know that," Karen's bottom lip quivers and her eyes shine under the bright lights of the kitchen.

"Are you alright?" I ask her, moving to stand next to the woman who I have come to care so much for.

"Yes," she smiles, "I'm sorry, I've been so emotional lately," she shakes it off and just like that, she's back to normal, smiling an assuring smile.

"Are you ready for bed?" Hardin joins us in the kitchen, grabbing another maple square on his way over to me. I knew he liked them more than he led on.