VII: Town Square

It was Saturday morning and the sun looked inviting. It’s been a chilly and cloudy week, and Jasper wanted something good to happen for a change. He had reluctantly put on his new clothes when he woke up, feeling upset that even his own shirts were taken away from him. He was still lying in bed, although the call for breakfast had begun an hour ago. All of a sudden, there was a heavy knock on the door and a familiar voice called out.

“Yo Lazypants! Get up and have breakfast with us! We’re going to Town Square” it was Coco.

“Town Square…” he murmured.

Coco and Gail waited outside his door, and when he didn’t open, they banged again.

“Stop sulking and get out before we get the big guns!” shouted Gail.

“It’s open!” yelled Jasper.

Both boys stormed in and were surprised to see Jasper just lying in bed. Coco laughed as he approached him, while Gail looked out the window.

“Get up, you ol’ fool! It’s Kat’s turn to treat us to breakfast and you’re gonna love Town Square, dude! Just trust us” Coco tried pulling up Jasper’s arms, and when he tried to resist, Gail lent a hand.

The boys managed to get his body on the floor and were now trying to get him out the door. Jasper thought of fighting them away, but a wave of golden curls and teal-blue eyes appeared on the doorway, hands in her hips.

“Stop being a spoiled brat and get your butt out that room, Jasper! We’re starving!”

Barbara shouted, and all three boys straightened themselves and almost ran down the stairs - where Kat stood, playing with her hair. Barbara cursed under her breath as they started walking outside into the fresh air.

“Really Jasper…you’re hopeless! At least be agreeable!” Barbara’s good mood had been broken.

Kat giggled.

“He’s just bummed that Alice is always with Mikael…” she teased.

“Don’t be ridiculous. That woman’s weird” Jasper replied under his breath.

He scowled as they kept on walking, following the stone path behind the dormitory.

The group led him to a wider trail behind it, which was made of gray cobblestones and then made a turn to what looked like a small forest inside the school. It was a fifteen-minute walk, and Jasper put his hands inside his pockets to keep them warm. He listened to what his new friends were talking about, but he frowned again when he couldn’t make heads or tails on what they were about. He looked around and saw that the leaves on the trees and shrubs were already turning orange and brown. Autumn’s on its way, he thought. He couldn’t help but feel sad that there won’t be any beer-drinking or Halloween parties for him this year. Or a normal college, he thought.

After a while, they stepped into a clearing and Jasper was amazed despite himself.

It looked like a modest, quaint town filled with Tudor-style shops in playful colors of red and green and purple. There were black Victorian lanterns lining up the tiny cobblestone streets; and lots of flowers adorning the shops’ windowsills. There were at least three bakeries and sweet shops, a hat shop, a clothes shop, a toy shop, and several small restaurants. It was like being in Vienna – only much smaller.

Barbara walked ahead, into a Patisserie named Cesario – her favorite - where several white tables and chairs were laid outside. The rest followed her.

“Gail, why don’t you take Mr. Pessimist inside and see what’s good. I’m famished” ordered Barbara before they were all seated.

Gail chuckled and motioned for Jasper to follow him. He grudgingly obeyed and walked with him inside the well-lit bake shop.