XVIII: International Exposition

“What’s gotten into you lately?!” Mikael was obviously exasperated.

Ilse sat beside Alice on the edge of her bed with worried eyes. Mikael started pacing the room as he put a hand on his tidy honey-blonde hair, ruffling it. Marko leaned against the wall, deep in contemplation.

All four of them were inside Alice’s bedroom at the Principal Students’ Headquarters. It was four days before the International Exposition, and they only recently heard about Jasper’s bargain with Alice. They had a plan – it was radical and risky – but this bargain could get in their way. After a long silence, Ilse spoke.

“This might be a good thing, Mikael”

“What could be good about it?! She hasn’t participated in any academy event since the beginning of time and she’s not about to start now!” Mikael glowered at her.

Ilse stared at him. He was tense for only a second – knowing full well that Ilse wouldn’t read his mind no matter what. It wasn’t a secret to the entire S.A. though, that he was – and always has been – dedicated to Alice.

“It could be what we need” said Marko from his corner.

Three pairs of eyes turned to him; his tall figure still leaning languidly by the window. He faced them, his eyes dark and serious.

“It’s all come to this, you see. Everything that we – Alice – had been doing would eventually lead to this. He couldn’t get involved with us anymore, Mikael. This would be the last time before we carry out the plan. Let’s go through this as if nothing’s changed…”

Mikael and Ilse were thoughtful after he finished.

“Marko’s right. If this is to work, we need to see this ‘till the end…” said Ilse sadly.

Alice gazed at the bunch of letters on her lap, tied together by a strip of red ribbon.

“I’m sorry for putting you guys into this mess…” she spoke softly.

“Don’t be! We agreed to do this with you…” Ilse caressed her hair affectionately.

Mikael sighed as he crouched down to look into her eyes. Marko left his corner and stood beside Ilse; the four of them now close together at the foot of the four-poster bed. Alice lifted her head to look at the smiling faces around her. Her heart swelled with emotion, and she let it shine through her eyes.

“You were never alone, Alice…” said Mikael, his voice tender.

In the growing twilight outside, the four of them huddled together in silence. They knew that this moment might never come again – that it might be their last night together. That’s why in their hearts they held each other tightly.

*

Jasper limped to his room, his body badly bruised. He had refused Coco’s help since he knew they still needed work on the remaining props for the tournament. But now, he was regretting his decision terribly.

After that unplanned outburst the other day, Barbara had been ignoring him. Coco and Greg found it funny – even amusing – and would tease them relentlessly about it. That is, before that morning, when Barbara threw one of the homemade explosives so close to them. No one was injured, but Coco was furious at her. She simply shrugged and ignored everyone else, especially Jasper. By then, word has spread throughout the academy that there will be an epic duel between the newcomer and the legendary Alice. Coco was more than overjoyed.

“Black vs. Red: Battle of the Century! That’s what we’ll call it! Man, we’re gonna sell a lot of tickets!” he squealed.

“Could we change the title, at least? This is so wrong…” Jasper groaned.